Evora Buyers Guide

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#101 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

The more i see and hear about the Evora, the more one makes sense.

Try and test drive an Ultima, you'll change your mind then. Or just a 500+ HP VX (there is one for sale ATM, though it doesn't have enough rubber to make it "safe").

Lotus's are great but the price premium is always a lot.

#102 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:39 PM

Haha, ultima v Evora - definitely the same target market. Nice one nev!

#103 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

Ultima, VX - not a practical road car.

Evora - practical road car.

#104 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

:lol:

#105 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:31 AM

Both have similar interior qualities :lol:

#106 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

What did you think of the Ultima Nev? I've only sat in one but I though it was about as raw as driving can get, more akin to a group C race car than a normal car. Interested to hear about the driving experience, not that I'm in a position to buy one :lol:

#107 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

Haha, ultima v Evora - definitely the same target market. Nice one nev!

Well, not quite the same number of seats, but both purporting to be fast road cars around £60k. Except one is a lot faster than the other.

I very nearly bought an Ultima kit when I was about 32, went to the factory, asked a lot of questions, had a test drive and got to know some owners and had plenty of money to build one with a powerful engine. The most noticeable thing about them is the ease with which you can work on the engine as the clams lift up to offer 270 degree access. There is simply just a lot more room for the engine than the cramped VX engine bay.

They are very fast indeed, I remember one at Donnington park just breezing past all the little caterhams, you could hear it roaring from the other side of the track 500 metres away. At the time my road car was a Scooby and a Lotus Esprit 300 before that, both considered fast cars at the time. My test drive in the Ultima was stunning fast in comparison. Very grippy too as you expect.

All in all I regret not building it, as I think it would have been a faster and easier car to build than Nipper, albeit about twice as expensive. Oh well.

Edited by Nev, 08 September 2017 - 08:30 AM.

#108 james_ly

james_ly

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

:D

#109 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

Well if you buy a car based on the interior decor then perhaps you should shop at Laura Ashley. It is of no consequence when you are driving fast IMO, the driving experience is the key thing to me; speed, agility, braking etc far outweigh what the dash looks like.

Edited by Nev, 08 September 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#110 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

you could hear it roaring from the other side of the track 500 metres away. 

Probably wouldn't be allowed round Donnington these days due to the noise police :(

The one I sat in was at Croft and it had one of the smaller engines in it (350bhp IIRC) but It seemed mighty on circuit. He said you could build one of the smaller ones for a lot less than you think. Not sure how easy it would be to live with on the road though.

#111 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:32 AM

you could hear it roaring from the other side of the track 500 metres away. 

Probably wouldn't be allowed round Donnington these days due to the noise police :(

The one I sat in was at Croft and it had one of the smaller engines in it (350bhp IIRC) but It seemed mighty on circuit. He said you could build one of the smaller ones for a lot less than you think. Not sure how easy it would be to live with on the road though.

Another notable thing about them was how wide and long the stance was, great for stability and eliminates the twitchness that most short/narrow wheel based cars like the VX has. Also a low stress V8 would be nice in comparison to the I4 and I6s in Lotus chassis.

It was deffo a tiring car to drive, not easy at all - when I got out Ted Marlow tried to imply it was easy to drive, which was certainly not in my opinion.

I think a lot of people aren't aware of the car's pedigree, designed by Lee Noble (of Noble cars) and then raced and developed by Ted Marlow (who was a successful racer himself). Some of the factory staff were very capable people too and the car was been slowly tweaked to be a zero compromise sports car. All in all it's matured well, with loads (all?) of the bugs eliminated over the course of time. All those irritating things that an OEM manufacturer like Lotus doesn't care about are eliminated on an Ultima, for instance compare the ease of access to the engine bay - a critical thing that has dogged my VX220 experience.

Edited by Nev, 08 September 2017 - 08:53 AM.

#112 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

How did we get from Evora to Ultima? :lol: The Ultima chassis is essentially just a development of a racecar chassis from the early 80's IIRC, so its no surprise it exhibits racecar-like elements!

Anyway, rather than an Evora, anyone considered a Zonda?

#113 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

How did we get from Evora to Ultima? :lol:

Similar money, similar low volume manufacturer, similar focus on driving experience etc etc. It's just a comparison I guess, worth considering IMO, rather than just jumping on the Lotus band-wagon because it's more prominently marketed.

I don't doubt the Evora is a good car, and it you want 4 seats for kids, a nice dashboard and some sound proofing then it's a fine choice. If however you want to go faster, you have to eliminate those compromises and Ultima does just that. Put a 350 HP Evora next to a 350 HP Ultima on a road or track and the startling difference in performance would be apparent in the first 100 foot.

Edited by Nev, 08 September 2017 - 10:18 AM.

#114 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

Are you saying that a racecar is faster then a GT car Nev?

#115 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

Why is it all about speed Nev, particularly on U.K. roads?. Maybe, just maybe, some people are happy with quickish cars that offer something above just swinging their dick about. What do you think the Ultima would be like on a 2500 mile Euro trip

#116 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

Why is it all about speed Nev, particularly on U.K. roads?. Maybe, just maybe, some people are happy with quickish cars that offer something above just swinging their dick about. What do you think the Ultima would be like on a 2500 mile Euro trip

I agree completely, many/most want a compromise to some extent for a variety of sensible reasons;  my input was for those who don't want that. The Ultima would certainly be hard work on a 2500 mile drive.

It's not about "dick swinging" as you condescendingly and tangentially put it, it's about having the best thing that suits your purpose for your budget. For some, that will be Ultima, whether you like it or not. To be frank, when it comes to dick swinging, I find the carbon and polish brigade are far more impression oriented than those who are purely focused on the driving experience.  

Edited by Nev, 08 September 2017 - 10:48 AM.

#117 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

I'm not sure what that means (or in what circumstances), I find all these marketing terms are just words that convey a vague meaning/impression to me. I judge things by what they are, rather than a bunch a words that others apply to them (in order to sell them). No doubt there are plenty of "GT cars" that will beat "race cars" and vice-versa, so the words have little meaning, to me at least.

Edited by Nev, 08 September 2017 - 11:00 AM.

#118 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

Haters are gonna hate Laura Ashley 🙄😄

#119 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• 11,587 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

Haters are gonna hate Laura Ashley 🙄😄

I've been told I have a Laura Ashley garden. :(   https://i.imgur.com/dPJFBbx.jpg https://i.imgur.com/W6I3sqi.jpg https://i.imgur.com/eu3OmlF.jpg

Edited by Nev, 08 September 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#120 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

PMSL :lol:

Anyway, interesting input from Nev. Completely irrelevant, but interesting nonetheless. thumbsup 

Edited by Foxy, 08 September 2017 - 12:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users