6 replies to this topic

#1 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, music and films

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

Just a thought, but is it worth insulating the pipe that goes under the exhaust manifold on the NA? Just wondering, as surely being Ally, it will suffer heat soak from the exhaust. Thinking of putting some ally tape around it to reflect the heat abit. Anyone got any experience of this?

#2 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

I really don't think it's an issue TBH, unless there's some other cooling system issue, which should be addressed first anyway.

Plus, perhaps it helps cold start up temps.. :D

#3 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:56 PM

Just a thought, but is it worth insulating the pipe that goes under the exhaust manifold on the NA? Just wondering, as surely being Ally, it will suffer heat soak from the exhaust. Thinking of putting some ally tape around it to reflect the heat abit. Anyone got any experience of this?

Sounds sensible to me, especially as it will be easyish to do, well thought out insulation in an engine bay is always a good idea IMO.

#4 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:33 PM

The point is, its already heat soaked from all the hot coolant in it! Plus the coolant flow in that pipe is pretty high, so there's little time to significantly heat soak. The fact that it has no shielding from factory indicates this isn't really an issue..

#5 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

If its already filled with hot coolant, then there isnt much point. I knew it was a coolant pipe, but didnt know if it was out or in.

#6 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

Its the pipe between the thermostat and the water pump, so there's only decent flow when the coolant is up to a certain temperature and the thermostat opens.

#7 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

Ah ok. Il stick some ally tape or gold foil around it anyway, cant do any harm. I believe i have a receipt for a cool running thermostat somewhere fitted by the previous owner.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coolant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users