Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:Stevenage FC.
    The VX220.
    My work.
    Pubs.

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

Cheers Slindborg, how do you fancy a suspension refresh and changing a driveshaft (I'm fairly sure it's that causing a knocking on right turn acceleration)? I enjoyed changing the suspension on the one I did get access to.. and now it has me tempted to splash out an Elise parts refresh kit.

The fronts definitely needed the oversize spacers to fit, Horace? I was supplied with 2 oversize pairs ones which I assume was for the fronts. And thankfully they came out ok upon realising I'd been given new ones!

Edited by VX Boyd, 20 April 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#22 VX Boyd

VX Boyd

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
    The VX220.
    My work.
    Pubs.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

The latest joy is now what feels like a shaking from the front driver side after changing the suspension that's worse at high speeds and turning left. Can't recreate just rolling the car but don't understand what it could be... it wasn't half a pain getting the new bigger bracket on with the ABS sensor!

#23 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:51 AM

How confident are you that the suspension was the cause in the first place?

To pick up on the driveshaft point, the rear wheels have very little to do with turning, so it's likely that it's a front issue. Worn bushes or wheel bearing being high up on my list.

#24 VX Boyd

VX Boyd

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
    The VX220.
    My work.
    Pubs.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

A suspension failure is why the suspension is being changed... new set supplied for free by Quantum, they want to inspect what's caused the failure so want all 4 from my car.

Changed the front left, the one that failed, and thanks to the lock nut drama, couldn't change the front right until last night so I've been driving slowly with a mix of the old and latest revision quantum zeros without an issue.

Changed the front right last night and the shaking has been there since the change this morning, can't imagine what I could have done that's caused it.

I'll just have to take it easy on the way home and get it jacked up and see if I can find the issue then.

I'm 90% sure the knocking is a CV joint, that's been there for a while, just been put off. The sound definitely comes from rear left and is evident turning right under acceleration speeding up as the car speeds up.

Edited by VX Boyd, 21 April 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#25 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, music and films

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

Easy way to tell if its CV joint or not, is see if you can vertically move the driveshaft. If you can, the CV joint is busy. I had this on mine, and it was the CV joint. Felt like something stuck on the tyre and knocking as it went round.

#26 VX Boyd

VX Boyd

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
    The VX220.
    My work.
    Pubs.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:06 PM

Thanks Dawg, hopefully I'll be able to look when the wheels off for the rear suspension tonight if I can quickly get to the bottom off what's causing this new shaking... feels like the front right if massively off balance, but other than the new wheel bolts, I don't see how it could have happened.

Edited by VX Boyd, 21 April 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#27 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

Mine felt ok, and when I took it off it seemed fine, but the knocking went when it was replaced.

#28 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

:lol: nice requirements creep from fitting a damper to a full refresh :P

I can help with the driveshaft, assuming the inboard end doesnt need pulling

#29 VX Boyd

VX Boyd

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
    The VX220.
    My work.
    Pubs.

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:58 AM

Haha don't ask, don't get. Though I've been somewhat put off the idea after seeing the rears. They're not quite as open as the fronts.

New knocking was me being a fcuking idiot. No memory of it, but before doing the front suspension, must have loosened the rear right wheel before giving up on the lock nut and forgetting about it leaving a slightly loose wheel, lucky escape.

#30 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:00 AM

Haha don't ask, don't get. Though I've been somewhat put off the idea after seeing the rears. They're not quite as open as the fronts.

New knocking was me being a fcuking idiot. No memory of it, but before doing the front suspension, must have loosened the rear right wheel before giving up on the lock nut and forgetting about it leaving a slightly loose wheel, lucky escape.

You're not the first and won't be the last

#31 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

peeenarse :lol:

I might have some time next weekend, although the Mrs will inevitably assign that for "family" stuff, booo

#32 D-DAWG83

D-DAWG83

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorsport, music and films

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:37 AM

Phew, that is lucky! Glad you found the issue though. Hopefully now it will drive like new.

#33 VX Boyd

VX Boyd

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
    The VX220.
    My work.
    Pubs.

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

Ride height is a little higher, haven't got Quantums little key to adjust it easily. They're a lot more forgiving than the gen 1 versions, certainly not as 'crashy' over the bumps as it used to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users