• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

Been offered a turbo spoiler in grey primer, which I would want to paint gloss black before fitting. How easy is it to get a really good finish with this using rattle cans - and any tips on how to do it inc lacquer? Trying to work out if I'm just better of buying a new cf one - even though it's twice the price... Mat Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:32 PM

Satin black looks better imho

Posted Image

#3 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:39 PM

Should be able to get a decent finish.  Make sure the surface is clean and flat and paint out of the wind but somewhere well ventilated.  Warm the can in water and shake it for ages, then spray in long strokes off the edge of the job and back again on the next strip down until it's covered.  Makes sure that you cover all the surface but don't apply too much paint or it will run and don't be tempted to go again because you spotted somewhere not completely covered, leave it until you apply the next coat.  A lot of thin coats are better than a few thick ones.  Paint one side and when completely dry paint the other and so on.  Buy a can and have a try on something flat, it's not that difficult!  Do not wax or polish for several weeks or longer.  

#4 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

I am not the best paint sprayer, my spoiler  turned out fine using rattle cans in Satin Black. Dont rush just take your time

#5 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:44 PM

Prep, prep, prep, prep then paint. Then sand. Then paint. Then sand. Then paint. Then lacquer. Lacquer again, and again. Et voila - a gloss finish.

#6 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

On something of that size cans are fine. If you're near me, your welcome to borrow my spray gun. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 AlexHillTVR

AlexHillTVR

• Pip
  • 242 posts
  • Interests:Running, Mountain Biking, Photography, Guitar

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

If you're going for cans then if nothing else, use a 2k clear with an activator which you can buy on Amazon. The finish will be far better off the gun than using a 1k clear/lacquer.

#8 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

I am not the best paint sprayer, my spoiler  turned out fine using rattle cans in Satin Black. Dont rush just take your time

The less said about matching up the various shades of yellow the better tho' !

#9 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

Satin black looks better imho  

Going to go gloss black as it looks good against silver... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:50 PM

Use Hycote paint. Andrew Page stock it

#11 Kieran McC

Kieran McC

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars,Track Days.

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:27 AM

Chis I will swap my LY body work for yours if you like it that much  :wub:

#12 Mike (Cliffie)

Mike (Cliffie)

Back in a VX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,352 posts
  • Interests:Weaving weasels woolly hats.

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:36 AM

Yeah that!!!

I am still trying to work out which of the three different yellows on my car are the real LY.

Easy job with a rattle can once you have mastered the wrist action and prepped properly.

#13 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

Posted Image

#14 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

I always find that lacquer afterwords make my work look 100 times better.

Alternatively Plastikote from Halfords or Sexfist (sorry Screwfix) is fine for spoilers.

Paul 

#15 Samwise

Samwise

• PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Track Days, Gaming, Building computers, Snowboarding! & Music

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

You can get great results with rattle cans if you take the time and its actually easier with a gloss finish.

Prep: Take loads of time to prep - sand, make sure surfaces are clean and contaminant free, and don't rush things.

Primer: Lots of light coats

Base colour: Light coats of base colour, don't sand anymore unless you mess up and need to go back to primer stage.

Varnish: Either Gloss or Satin/Matte, you want 1 small thin layer to help the other layers adhere to the surface before going in with 3+ Thick layers of lacquer, if you're using gloss you really can't go too thick here as it gives you more material to work with when cleaning it up.

Cleanup: After this, this is where gloss is better as with Satin/Matte it will be come more or less shiny depending on the thickness of the paint so you have to be really uniform with it.

With gloss if you got some nice thick layers you'll want to use 1500-2000 grit wet & Dry to knock back some of the high areas and orange peel before buffing off the cloudy/matte finish this gives you with a proper compound/polish compound.

With that you could actually easily achieve a better more mirror-like finish than the majority of cars that come out of the factory these days. So many modern cars have disgusting amounts of orange peel in their finish.

#16 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:42 PM

Alas - too slow the spoiler has gone.... Oh well, let's go with the cf one instead!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users