Car Setup Advice, High Speed Oversteer

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Boats, F1, Cycling, Home Cinema, Music.

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Based on that brands video my immediate thoughts was that the front end looks very pointy, but also to the high rear spring rate, the car seems to slide round rather than grip and be overwhelmed. so that suggests to me that something is too stiff, i cant tell if the weather was perfect and the sun was just low of if the track looked a little greasy, either way first thing i would look at tyre pressures and dropping the rear spring rate a little. (pressures first obviously) 

You have spitfire toe links on there, do you know your toe settings? 

Interesting hearing peoples observations, I hadn't really noticed but I suppose it is quite aggressive on turn in, personally I like it as I can't stand understeer, I like how direct it is but it may overwhelm the rears when the weight transfers so quickly.

Track conditions were pretty good, track was dry it was just late on in the day so the sun was very low. 

I have my toe settings at home so i'll post them up tonight.

#42 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

Like someone already mentioned the VX turbo have downforce in fron and lift in rear. I think you should get a rear wing bigger then turbo std. Tyre pressure i usually start with 23 front and 22 rear to get around 29/30 hot. Some harder front springs or a MBR 1" ARB in hardest setting should help. I was thinking of 525 front and 625 rear springs to mine and set the MBR arb in second hardest setting to have some more adjustability. Br, Per

Thanks for all the feedback, sounds as if it's probably driver error and some setup changes rather than a mechanical issue. This video isn't the best example of the issue because I did carry too much speed into the corner, I find it a difficult section to get right because you have to lift which gives oversteer as James said. This was towards the end of a long stint so I expect tyre pressures were a little high by this point. Need to do some reading into heat cycles and plan stints accordingly. I'll try starting with a lower pressure and reduce the rear shocks a few clicks. I hope the bigger ARB will help with rear stability too. I'll let you know how I get on, can't wait to get back out there. Must get some more tuition too!

#43 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

Based on that brands video my immediate thoughts was that the front end looks very pointy, but also to the high rear spring rate, the car seems to slide round rather than grip and be overwhelmed. so that suggests to me that something is too stiff, i cant tell if the weather was perfect and the sun was just low of if the track looked a little greasy, either way first thing i would look at tyre pressures and dropping the rear spring rate a little. (pressures first obviously) 

You have spitfire toe links on there, do you know your toe settings? 

Interesting hearing peoples observations, I hadn't really noticed but I suppose it is quite aggressive on turn in, personally I like it as I can't stand understeer, I like how direct it is but it may overwhelm the rears when the weight transfers so quickly.

Track conditions were pretty good, track was dry it was just late on in the day so the sun was very low. 

I have my toe settings at home so i'll post them up tonight.

Its all preference at the end of the day, but by having lots of toe-out or "sharp turn in" you may find yourself understeering after your apex, not so obvious on sweeping corners but tight ones will highlight it straight away. How did it feel gong round Druids? 

#44 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

I find it very good on tight, more technical sections, excellent at Druids and especially good round Luffield on the Pistonheads Silverstone day I was noticeably reeling in much faster cars there, felt like lots of grip there so I don't want to alter front grip if I can help it. 

#45 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:48 AM

I really cant belive this. My small low sitting wing isnt really pushing down much in 100mph but I can certinly feel its balancing my car and make my rear end more stable. If your big gay wing doesnt do anything until 100mph then it must be something very wrong. I mean it will not work as an F1 wing but it should make a difference in speeds lower than 100mph. Maybe around 60mph. Br, Per

For reference if it is of any use, my big gay wing does nothing until over 110 MPH, and isn't substantially pushing down until about 125 MPH.   Wider (and softer compound) rear tyres will help and is a relatively easy and cheap thing to upgrade IMO.   I've never had snap oversteer on my car in sweeping bends (except when accidentally/deliberately provoked by accelerator input), so I can't really understand how you are getting it.   GL with the problem, maybe worth taking it to a (genuine) expert company and say you will pay IF they can genuinely reduce this characteristic on a test bend that you measure your max speed at break away before/after their geo changes.

#46 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:54 AM

I dont know how the nitrons work but on my car it used to be setup 2 clicks stiffer on then rear (logic was that was where the weight was) then Back on track changed it so the front was 2 stiffer than the rear. It didn't seem to make sense but immediately was better. The front goes where you tell it and the back just digs in a bit more.

When I first did this I had a few big scraps on track with one of the vxers who went on to win time attack and when he changed his to match mine he too commented on how it improved things.

On that note, just ask 5 oclock or any of the other serious racers what they do.

Masrtin S

#47 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

from the vid it was after a few laps at pace that the over steer started. tyre pressures would be too high? hot should be 24/26? do you release any air from the wheels during the day? I have to let out air after 3/4 laps for most of the morning then they stabilise usually in the afternoon

#48 Andy_VX

Andy_VX

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

Yeah i think i did lower the pressures a little after that incident as i think they were probably a bit high at this point. 

Nex time out think i'll try and take more notice of small setup changes and see what effect it has. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users