• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:19 PM

Hello all,

This week-end, I tried to increase the efficiency of LY36 cabin heater. In good VX220 tradition I proceeded in gnarling my hands on every rusty bits, forcibly trying to fit some 76mm tubing and dremelling out some coupling pieces. I guess LY36 holds my DNA now...

Anyways, I realized that my heater outlet is, after foam removal, touching the front bulkhead near the front rad. It is touching so much that I cannot wiggle any tube or jubilee clip on the outside of it, so the venair kit is a no-no in the current state of affairs. After much frustration and swearing in a foreign language, I have gotten something in place but it is far from optimal.

Has anybody had the same outlet-tangential-to-bulkhead issue or is it just me and I should look for the root cause of it ?

Inb4 "get the fezzasus heater mod" ... I haven't found one for sale yet, and I don't trust the life expectancy of a PWM-ed solenoid valve...

Also, I am trying to achieve some improvement without pulling everything out (yet).

And no, LY36 is still not up for sale.

EDIT : can't grammar after lunch

Edited by martinroger, 28 November 2016 - 01:20 PM.

#2 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

That's typical, before replacing heaters I did this which mitigates fitting a jubilee clip; http://www.vx220.org...oday/?p=1181953

However the problem is the heater, not the pipework, so expect limited benefits.

WRT the PWM controller, new cable controllers are available.

#3 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:01 PM

I'd take it up with the seller...

#4 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:53 PM

That's typical, before replacing heaters I did this which mitigates fitting a jubilee clip; http://www.vx220.org...oday/?p=1181953

However the problem is the heater, not the pipework, so expect limited benefits.

Yes, I have done the exact same thing, 76mm trumpets and all. I got a different tubing though, mine is way too stiff, I think it is some HDPE with a steel wire in it. Nearly impossible to bend, I'll try to find some neoprene tubing like yours. 

As for the trumpets I have succeeded in scraping the old foam out on both ends, done two cuts pretty much 90° like yours. The one on the heater did comply with much force, the one on the cabin side was equally misbehaving. So much I ended up dremelling slits in the trumpet to allow it to expand on the plug. Maybe the trumpets I got were too crap and not even 76mm, I'll wait for temperatures to go higher than 3°C to go outside and check.

With regards to the heater limitations, what were your findings ? Is it the matrix that is crap, or the blower ?

I have just seen the cable controller fix with cable valve. Looks good ! Definitely more robust than the solenoid cycle-wise, or than a servo ...

#5 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:53 PM

Heh it was a well-known issue before I bought LY36.

#6 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:32 PM

Yes, I have done the exact same thing, 76mm trumpets and all. I got a different tubing though, mine is way too stiff, I think it is some HDPE with a steel wire in it. Nearly impossible to bend, I'll try to find some neoprene tubing like yours. 

As for the trumpets I have succeeded in scraping the old foam out on both ends, done two cuts pretty much 90° like yours. The one on the heater did comply with much force, the one on the cabin side was equally misbehaving. So much I ended up dremelling slits in the trumpet to allow it to expand on the plug. Maybe the trumpets I got were too crap and not even 76mm, I'll wait for temperatures to go higher than 3°C to go outside and check.

With regards to the heater limitations, what were your findings ? Is it the matrix that is crap, or the blower ?

I have just seen the cable controller fix with cable valve. Looks good ! Definitely more robust than the solenoid cycle-wise, or than a servo ...

It's a fundamentally poor design.

1) cage fans a good blowing against pressure, not pulling with pressure, so the matrix should be located after the fan, not before.

2) the air flap relies on the bowden cable pushing it closed to direct it to hot air, bowden cables aren't designed to push.

3) because cage fans prefer low pressure, cold air is pulled from the cold side of the flap, bypassing the matrix.

#7 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:12 PM

Not forgetting the age of the car..

#8 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:14 PM

That's typical, before replacing heaters I did this which mitigates fitting a jubilee clip; http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/99660-project-i-want-to-go-to-work-today/?p=1181953   However the problem is the heater, not the pipework, so expect limited benefits.   WRT the PWM controller, new cable controllers are available.

Yes, I have done the exact same thing, 76mm trumpets and all. I got a different tubing though, mine is way too stiff, I think it is some HDPE with a steel wire in it. Nearly impossible to bend, I'll try to find some neoprene tubing like yours.    As for the trumpets I have succeeded in scraping the old foam out on both ends, done two cuts pretty much 90° like yours. The one on the heater did comply with much force, the one on the cabin side was equally misbehaving. So much I ended up dremelling slits in the trumpet to allow it to expand on the plug. Maybe the trumpets I got were too crap and not even 76mm, I'll wait for temperatures to go higher than 3°C to go outside and check.   With regards to the heater limitations, what were your findings ? Is it the matrix that is crap, or the blower ?   I have just seen the cable controller fix with cable valve. Looks good ! Definitely more robust than the solenoid cycle-wise, or than a servo ...  

It's a fundamentally poor design.   1) cage fans a good blowing against pressure, not pulling with pressure, so the matrix should be located after the fan, not before.   2) the air flap relies on the bowden cable pushing it closed to direct it to hot air, bowden cables aren't designed to push.   3) because cage fans prefer low pressure, cold air is pulled from the cold side of the flap, bypassing the matrix.

Oh wow indeed, I didn't suspect it was that bad... thanks for the info. Definitely it has been engineered backwards. Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

#9 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:29 PM

Not forgetting the age of the car..
Woosh parrot for Mbes! :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heater, mod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users