help starter relay electrics

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:23 AM

[color=rgb(69,69,69);font-family:Helvetica;font-size:12px;]Hello wise folk.[/color]

I’m having a problem with starting the VX and wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction?  Initially, after not being started for a month or so it acted like the battery was flat - with the starter relay just clicking but not throwing the solenoid in to mesh with the flywheel.  Starter not turning at all.  Fuel pump was priming and all otherwise seemed fine, but interior lamp was dim, so I assumed dead battery, even though it’s only about 18 months old.

Tried jumping it, and only after being hooked up to the other car for 20 minutes or more it eventually turned the starter (slowly) but it fired up ok.  Ran it for 15 or 20 minutes to give a bit of charge to the poor old battery.

Then yesterday tried jumping it again as the starter wouldn’t turn over, assuming flat battery again, but no joy.  Wouldn’t start with a jump after 20 minutes hooked up.  So, left it overnight on an Optimate conditioner / charger, today all Optimate readings look fine so assume that battery’s ok, but symptoms are now:

Ignition on - fast clicking from the relay in the boot

Press starter button - relay clicking stutters

Depress brake pedal - relay clicking stops

All of this is in sync with the dash warning lights flashing on and off.  Here’s a little video of what’s happening if that helps:

https://www.dropbox....G_3722.MOV?dl=0

Anyone have any ideas what this is most likely to be?  I’m guessing either the relay or the starter motor being faulty.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Ian

#2 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

Battery or battery connections.

#3 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:38 AM

Duff battery, one of the cells has died. Halfords have the answer thumbsup

#4 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:06 PM

Thanks.  That was my initial thought but:

Just disconnected the battery completely and used a battery removed from a BMW to jump the car with no connection to the VX battery, and the fuel pump primed nicely, lights didn't flash and all seemed normal till I pressed the starter button, and got the relay clicking again.  Hmmm...

Battery isn't great though as it reads 7.9 volts standalone, and I think that should be 11+.  I've put it on condition again just in case (Optimate can rescue better if the battery isn't connected to the car apparrently..)

So, the battery may well be sick, but I'm wondering about the relay because of the test with the BMW battery - what 2 pins do I need to connect with a paper clip to check if that's at fault?

EuroParts have a Bosch battery - think I'll get that anyway... 

#5 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

Just get a new battery!!

FWIW mine did the dancing light routine when the relay(s) in the boot were soaking wet

#6 Andyeddie

Andyeddie

• PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Cars, winding up toss pots, grammer, haggis, kilts, football, food, modern archiology, doughnuts, Rootes group cars, Glam rock, The Who, Led Zep, The Stones, INXS, other stuff.

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

Sounds like battery problems to me, do yourself a favour and buy a Halfirds battery and have them fit it cause it's a right pain in the ass, just stand there watching the m though as they are usually fooking useless and will fook up everything they touch if not being watched.

#7 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

Battery should have a minimum of 11.8 volts thumbsup

It is also worth checking the negative connections between the battery and chassis, plus the rear negative connection between the gearbox and chassis.

#8 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

battery would have to have a least 12v to start the car comfortably 

#9 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

The BMW battery had full voltage - won't a new battery give the same result as when I tried with the BMW battery?  Relay clicking....  

I'll get one anyway as mine's clearly sick but I'm anticipating the same result with the new one as I got with the BMW battery, no?

#10 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

Ok - old battery removed, new battery on jump leads to VX battery connections.  Same result - clicking relay only.  Fuel priming ok and dash lights look fine, as before.  I have a video but I think you get what I mean..?

Any ideas what next?  Which terminals on the relay to wire together to check the relay?

#11 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

Brown and Brown with red trace is the wires to short to bypass the relay. Pins 3 and 5. If that makes the starter do nothing then could be the starter although worth checking the batter earth at the chassis before you start taking starters off.

Edited by Zoobeef, 31 December 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#12 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:20 PM

Why are you using jump leads when you've got a new battery?

#13 jules_s

jules_s

Iceman

• 15,275 posts
  • Interests:Plane spotting

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

FWIW mine did the dancing light routine when the relay(s) in the boot were soaking wet

Cough

#14 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

Ok, Happy New Year everyone first of all. 

So, new battery hooked up on jump leads (because while it's out I'm trying to sort out the heater installation, and I don't think having it on jump leads affects the operation at all - does it?) and the symptoms now are the same.  Ignition on fine, fuel primes ok and dash lights ok, then hit the start button and I just get the relay clicking but no starter motor action.

Checked both earths and all look fine, removed cleaned and replaced the one by the gearbox as it was a bit grubby but not badly so.

So, I'm left with replacing the relay and the starter - anyone got any suggestions beyond that, and which order I should try these out?  I guess the relay is the simplest and cheapest...?  I do have an OBD reader, would that be likely to show up anything useful?

Thanks people..

#15 speedster norway

speedster norway

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

As Vocky says,the bolts on the negativ cabel between the gearbox and chassis. EDIT. Sorry did not catch your last post where you've already checked this out. Thatwas my problem and it took me a while to figure out, with exactly the same symptons as you have, I make a extra ground wire between engine and chassis after this.

Edited by speedster norway, 01 January 2017 - 12:15 PM.

#16 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

I guess the relay is the simplest and cheapest...?

Not really. http://www.vx220.org...w-starter-relay

#17 speedster norway

speedster norway

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

A live+ cabel direct on the solenoid of the starter motor will give you some answers before you buy new parts.

#18 ratboiler

ratboiler

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

I had a similar problem with an old mgb the earthing strap had broken, and engine did the same as yours.

A mate of mine came over took a jump lead connected it to the engine and to the chassis and it was away, so fitted a new earthing strap problem solved.

#19 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

This happened to my Megane sport aswell although it was the battery to gearbox earth. Jump lead sorted it until I got a replacement from Halfords for a fiver You can run a Megane sport on a fiver ;)

#20 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

We had a VX here last week with a similar starting issue; problem was his (brand new) wet yellow starter relay, so check that first.

You can bridge pin 3 & 5 to hotwire the relay and test the starter.

https://www.speedste...nd charging.pdf

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, starter, relay, electrics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users