air intakes increasing the air intakes

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 pete007

pete007

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

I know that there will be quite a number of people who will shake their heads shouting: “How dare you!” :(

I truly apologize for destroying the cars natural shape, but I think that I’ll really enjoy doing this modification. :)

To cut a long story short this is what inspired me and what am I going to do:

I really like the deep air intakes of a Lamborghini Aventador. Having a peek into the inside of the VX 220 doors I found out that there my be a lot of room to increase the air intakes of it.

I know that the turbo version has increased air intakes as well, but I don’t like them.

I`d like to think of another way and I made a short video to explain my plans in detail:

http://dai.ly/x57kx2w

As I have not talked to anybody having done something like that with his car, I thought that maybe it could be a good idea to explain my plans in a short video and ask experienced people to respond to it.

I hope that I will get some useful clues that will help achieving my goal.

#2 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

Someone has done that by going into the door I'm sure someone has a link to it somewhere!

#3 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

That is called a Lotus Europa, not? :happy:

#4 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Hi Pete, Awesome video and narratation by the way! 👍 Have you got too much time on your hands? 😊

#5 pete007

pete007

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:22 PM

Hi Pete, Awesome video and narratation by the way! 👍 Have you got too much time on your hands? 😊

A man has to do what a man has to do and some things just have to be done! :tt:  

Edited by pete007, 06 January 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#6 pete007

pete007

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

That is called a Lotus Europa, not? :happy:

I`d like to have much deeper intakes. But yes, the Lotus Europa could work as kind of an example.  

Edited by pete007, 06 January 2017 - 08:34 PM.

#7 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

You can "implode" the doors but the question is if there will be air pulled into these holes?

I think on the turbo model the air flows besides the side and the wide ears guide the air into the car...

Just a feeling though...

Posted Image

#8 pete007

pete007

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:40 AM

Although your explanations definitely make sense and although I`m absolutely sure that the turbo ears are much more effective, I don't think that I`ll risk a reduction or even an implotion of the car`s air intake. The reason is quite simple. My modification will not really a change in terms of the car`s air flow pattern. I think that the amount of air passing through the intakes before and after the modification will be the same in the worst case. 

My top priority, however, is to change the car`s styling. So I will be absolutely happy even if the cooling funktion will not be increased. 

Attached File  Bild123.jpg   3.06KB   26 downloads

#9 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

The one thing is that the airflow is not going in the sidevents as in your drawing. Tests (including my own) have show that removing the sidevents increases cooling. The sidevents rasters are shaped in a way that the airflow slides over it instead of into it.

Just to let you know. Good luck though with the work!

#10 pete007

pete007

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

The one thing is that the airflow is not going in the sidevents as in your drawing. Tests (including my own) have show that removing the sidevents increases cooling. The sidevents rasters are shaped in a way that the airflow slides over it instead of into it.

Just to let you know. Good luck though with the work!

That's interesting! Maybe I should replace the original sidevents raster then.

You said that the airflow slided over the intakes. That implies that for the non-turbo-version the air intakes do not really have a function, right?

And what about the Lotus Elise? Do you think that there might be some cooling function, as the Elise has a different sidevent raster?

#11 Donflaem

Donflaem

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

image hosting no account

I have done it like this.
Works really well.

#12 pete007

pete007

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:35 AM

I found a video on youtube that shows the air flow of the Elise. The cooling function of the sidevents seem to be working at least with the Elise.

Have a look:

https://www.youtube....h?v=_BnHXfvZVFo

#13 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

I found a video on youtube that shows the air flow of the Elise. The cooling function of the sidevents seem to be working at least with the Elise.

Have a look:

https://www.youtube....h?v=_BnHXfvZVFo

It also shows the big 'dead' area of air over the engine cover vent holes where little to no air exits from the engine bay as the turbulent air from the front cascades down and onto the engine cover.

The biggest problem on these cars is not so much how to get (cool) air in, but tends to be how to get the (hot) air OUT of the engine bay again.

Especially on cars like the S1 (and now S3) elise and Speedster/VX where the rear clam is closed off and curved back onto itself under the car it's hard to make any air you try to get in through the side-vents to come out again. (on the S2 it's easier to fix with a fairly open rear exhaust setup). On the VX/Speedster the original design alreay tries to promote air flow with the row of big holes on the underside of the rear clam near the edge.

Also evident by the grilles than various people on here have cut in the rear clam next to the exhaust outlet on the VX/Speedster.

It's not really sensible to increase any air scoops or intakes unless you also make it possible to get the air out the back of the car again. Otherwise the side intakes are just not going to work much if a (static) pressurised area is created in the engine and exhaust bays.

Bye, Arno.

#14 pete007

pete007

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:42 PM

Nice explanation, Arno! I totally agree to you.

I`ve already cut two big holes in the rear of my car. So the cooling funktion and the air flow of my car should be already better than in the car`s original form!

You can see that here: http://dai.ly/x2wq1yd

#15 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

image hosting no account

I have done it like this.
Works really well.

Nice !!

Any details on how you made it ?

did you make some mould or just a one shot on the car ?

Thanks

#16 pete007

pete007

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

It took a while, but I did it. I increased my car's air intakes and repainted it.

Attached File  33.jpg   108.53KB   7 downloads

Here are some more pictures:

http://dai.ly/x5rnrjv

#17 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

That makes Joe's attempts with a dremel look like childsplay.

#18 vxah

vxah

• 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

Look a bit like Europa s doors now, and they don't work for getting air in the side vents!

As I understand it the problem is low pressure caused after the front of the car punches a hole in the air, the low pressure extends from about the back of the front wheel arch and down the doors. Air from further away tries to fill the low pressure and causes lots of turbulence resulting in poor airflow through the side vents..

A good improvement can be had by feeding air into the low pressure area from the back of the front wheel arches, then the low pressure is not as bad and the result is less turbulent air flow? I think some cars have the grilles on the wheel arches? Most are fake though!

#19 TFD

TFD

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

I REALY LIKE THE SIDE INTAKES!

I REALY DONT LIKE THE HEADLIGHT!

Haha.... serious mate, those side intakes look realy good IMHO. Must have been some serious work to get it right. Next thing is to test its efficiency (IAT's).

thumbsup

#20 pete007

pete007

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:10 AM

Actually I have to admit, that they are not that efficient. Up to a speed of 80 km/h my engine temperature is 87 °C. Before the change it was 89°C. When I go faster there is no difference. I'm not quite sure if this temperature fall was caused they the greater intakes or simply bcause of the use of a different grille.

I had become aware of the fact that the intakes  might not be efficent even before I worked on the car with a disc grinder, because some members here had already informed me about some airodynamic details.

So, thanks again for feedback! I really enjoy being on this forum !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users