Project 'promise I Won't Mess With This One' Supercharger

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:59 AM

After a year of VX220 ownership, I thought it about time to post up progress so far......... So here we go.....

A bit of background first.  I started years ago with VW, finally finishing my MK1 golf which ended in a marriage proposal, dabbled with various toys....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There were a quite a few others and had some real fun building and owning them but always fancied an Elise.  So with the sad sale of my 160bhp 1971 Austin i went in search of a Mk1 Elise.  Having trawled the 'net all i found was pretty battered examples for the price i wanted to pay.  I then started looking at the VX to avoid the k series.  The more i looked the more i liked so last January I went to look at one and struck a deal.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to follow......

Edited by Danger Mouse, 11 February 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#2 Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:08 AM

Shortly after my purchase I made a start and bought some Team Dynamics and shod them with Yokohama tyres.  As I was not planning to track the car I went for a road friendly Advan Sport.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then came a rear splitter.

Posted Image

I then looked at the intake system and exhaust as I felt the stock system was a little quiet.  I modified the lower part of airbox and altered intake pipe.  I retained the standard filter though as excellent filtration and cheap to replace.  I picked the exhaust up from Adam on the site as not too far away.  Was nice to see a supercharged one as well.  Hmmmm....maybe I should do that???

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:57 AM

Whilst I was fitting the 'box above, I figured it was a good time to remove the pre-cat to aid gas-flow.  

Next up, to tame the thirst for the supercharger, I got in touch with Liam at MMG for a remap.  I headed over to Ashbourne and after the setup it was a changed car. The power delivery was a lot better and the car seemed more alive.  Its difficult to put into to words but the feeling the car gave was a huge improvement over stock and more like the cat should have performed from the factory.  

Posted Image

After that I spent 6 months enjoying my plastic Vauxhall with the mundane trips to work transformed and a fantastic weekend in the Peaks with a great hotel stop-over.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Had a great first part of VX ownership but still fancied having a mess so placed the order........................and a few weeks later a box arrived from the 'States.....

Posted Image

#4 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:01 AM

That looks like a very small pully.

#5 Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:57 AM

Hahaha, yes, too small it seems!  2.9 fitted and it cost a fair bit to get a 3.1 machined and sent over from the 'States.

I was having a flick through some pics and found a few other bits that id carried out before the 'charger install.

New Alpine head unit as original had a cracked screen.  Also mechanism free so a bit of weight saved :tt:

Posted Image

Also added new braided hose to the brakes with a flush of the fluid.

Posted Image

Then it began.......................

Posted Image

#6 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

3.1"? are you changing the rods? Standard is 3.35" No one can resist the suuuupercharger :lol:

#7 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

i get my pulleys from smooth flow, 

http://www.smoothflowpulleys.com/

#8 Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

That's where It came from. Must be a 3.3 as played it safe.

#9 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

Looks like your going to have the same bother as me with that charge cooler, those brackets are on the wrong way round and your fan will hit the curve of the crash box when mounted in the surround.

Edited by Johnboyhgt, 27 March 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#10 Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:07 AM

That I did. My car is finished and back on the road but did hit that problem. They came and took rad and return following day with alterations carried out. I also spec'd for pipes to run down passenger side as I preferred the routing avaliable.

#11 Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

After adjustment work I got the radiators fitted.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Then the daunting bit of cutting holes....
Posted Image
Posted Image
I then thought the part where pipes go through bulkhead and wasn't happy with rubber grommets due to angle change. So designed and 3d printed a solution.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Not everyone on fb liked it but I am really pleased with it.

#12 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:19 AM

Nice work :)

#13 Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:27 AM

Cheers mate.
Whilst I was waiting for help from my Dad to refit the from clam I made a start on stripping parts from engine. I modified my, luckily, 100amp alternator and suppressor. Also trial fitted manifold to check clearance.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 NOSBandit

NOSBandit

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Hi mate, check you're airflow on those fans. I was sent the same ones and after a run they didn't move enough air to drop the coolant temperature down. I was sent some Spal ones that were a lot more efficient, now after a run, the fans come on, cool it and switch off. It wasn't to bad for me to change them as I redesigned my front clam so I can remove it completely in 20ish minutes Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#15 Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the info. How long ago was this? I asked about the fans and was told airflow would be fine. I've been using the car and not managed to get temp above 91.

#16 Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:38 AM

Inlet modified for dual-pass setup.

Posted Image

Front end refitted and then moved onto the rear.  But before removing rear clam I offered up the nicely made ARP water tank. Although a really great quality product I wasnt happy with how far it stuck out over the enging area.  Also, as I wasn't planning to change normal header tank to alloy, I would prefere to not see of much of the tank next to factory plastic one.

Posted Image

The plan was to move the cap as far over to the right and shuffle the bracket along too so that the tank body would fit under the left corner of the clam.  The folks at Alloy Racing Products where a great help and made alterations for me.  I know not a massive difference and probably should have had bracket further over but I prefer it.

Posted Image

Then rear calm came off......

Posted Image

And then whilst in there I replaced timing, balance chain and fitted new water pump. 

Posted Image

#17 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

Then rear calm came off......

:lol: as relaxing as that

#18 Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

Haha...well, snapped all blots on the boot. Had fun removing relays and the two m5 on roll bar cover hardly resembled nuts at all!! Was easier than the front though.

Edited by Danger Mouse, 10 May 2017 - 07:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users