Air Filter Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ditonics

ditonics

Turbos aren’t as good as NA’s

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Marks cat, Joes Mum and Stuarts skills with a wonky erection.

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

I have an Apexi on the car, definitely not my choice. They are great for race applications but you can't clean them. You bin them and get a new one at £80 a pop. Don't like the sound of that. So what (k&n pipercross etc) fits in the turbo ear nicely and has sensible servicing.

#2 Samwise

Samwise

• PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Track Days, Gaming, Building computers, Snowboarding! & Music

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

You can clean them, they're just not oil based so you don't need to oil them afterwards.

You can easily clean them with standard air filter cleaner, water or even a weak soapy mixture as long as you make sure to dry it out properly afterwards

But if you're going to throw it away i'd take it off your hands :ninja:

#3 ratboiler

ratboiler

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

Whats wrong with the standard air filter?

I know that when the VXR was first introduced it had an oil based air filter (as I recall) that was then changed out for the standard paper one again as I recall, it might have been the other way round.

I blew an AMM, and returned the car under warranty they changed the filter for a paper one and it has been OK since and it is at stage 4.

#4 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:11 PM

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with whatever it originally came with, it's just no longer with the car. According to the Apexi website you shouldn't use any liquids to clean the filter and only back blow it with an air line, trouble is it's disgusting from all the road crap it gets through the turbo ear. I might try gently washing it any way.

#5 Andrew aka Stuwy

Andrew aka Stuwy

Made In England

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • Interests:most things are intersting

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

just stick up a wanted add for a turbo air box, the paper filters are less then £5 and are sufficient to around 400bhp. and they have the best filtration. I don't know why people change them out.

#6 p4cks

p4cks

Newbie abuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

I've a Pipercross you can have for £25 delivered if you like? Removed from my turbo last week

#7 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

If you really want to go for 'cone' types, you can use the AEM 'dry' type ones. Easy to Clean AEM Dryflow® replacement air filters can be used for up to 50,000 miles before cleaning is needed depending on driving conditions. AEM Dryflow air filters on our air intake systems can be used for up to 100,000 miles before cleaning is necessary depending on driving conditions. We recommend you check your Dryflow air filter periodically and when it does get dirty don't worry because cleaning is a breeze. Our synthetic air filter cleaner loosens and dissolves filter dirt and grime so it can be rinsed away with water. Refer to our simple cleaning instructions link: https://www.aemintak...h/univcone.aspx But, best choise is the oem paper filter with an modified oem turbo airbox. A member from here sells these mod kits for the oem airboxes. Believe it's Duncan?? http://redirect.vigl...circ - Page ... grtz

Edited by tibby, 16 February 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#8 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

vxr originally had a foam type filter , but the foam would break down with heat in the bay and break off and get stuck to the heated wire on the MAF, which would then overheat and break.

how many people on here have actually had an oiled filter and broken there hot wire MAF , versus those that broke their MAF with a paper/dry filter.

bear in the mind the standard crankcase ventilation , goes directly in just behind the MAF , so the oil will still try to get out to atmosphere , past the MAF when the recirc closes.

#9 turbo boy

turbo boy

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Cars, fitness, fishing, sports

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

I'm a big fan of the apexi. Standard box (even drilled) makes the car sound pants... Clean it and keep it. Thanks my advice 👍

#10 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

The air intake kit I did with Dave Hardwick with oem filter Not the cheapest option but proven to be better than open cone and host of other aftermarket kits with the best filtration and fantastic quality Loads of testing on the road and rr, yet to be bettered 😉 DG

#11 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:08 PM

The air intake kit I did with Dave Hardwick with oem filter Not the cheapest option but proven to be better than open cone and host of other aftermarket kits with the best filtration and fantastic quality Loads of testing on the road and rr, yet to be bettered 😉 DG

I've been chatting with Dave about a few other things too. I'd like a ride in a car with one first before I considered it. I don't want the induction sounds dampened too much. In the mean time I'll have a go at washing the Apexi. Stuck half way through doing the timing belt at the moment, one of the engine mounting bolts is seized :( Trying a good soaking of penetrating fluid over night. Then I'll wash the filter. Thanks for all the input fellow vx'ers.

#12 scw02102

scw02102

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

Apexi are a good filter and on test with skyline come out the best, different car I know but for filtration and flow they beat all the top brands including HKS etc...

Just wash it and leave to dry for a few days 

#13 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:26 PM

If you want to destroy your engine i would use the HKS one :ninja:

Posted Image

#14 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:03 PM

Ok ok, I see Apexi are well loved. It's getting cleaned once I finish the timing belt.

#15 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:55 PM

Don't worry too much if after you clean it it still looks dirty.. as long as it's dust free.. the inside should still be like new.

#16 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

While it's out, have a good look at it.

#17 ditonics

ditonics

• PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:04 AM

It was supplied by MMG so I hope it's real. Cleaning tomorrow

#18 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

Another thumbsup for the Apexi... albeit I think I do damage my passengers ear drums.  I am happy just to buy a new element when the old one is past its best (just about to change it after 3 years and still looks new!), however, I only do 1000 miles per year and dry use only... I imagine it could get very dirty if pounding up and down the motorway in winter every day!  You can however buy/make a shield which should help.

#19 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

done back to back tests with standard vxt box and paper filter and the apexi had worse mass air flow sensor readings

running the biggest k+n made a huge difference in flow and noise , it was the harsh noise which was damaging hearing on long trips

Posted Image

#20 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:33 PM

Yup, another vote for the DH unit. I bought one, eye watering price but it just made sense as breathing is such a fundamental part of the car. I haven't done a dyno on it as it was smoothness I was after rather Ham pure HBO. I like the way it uses the stock filter which is reassuring. Any bhp gains are a bonus but if it delivers similar results to the tests then £ per bhp it's a bargain, especially once you are already at a stage 4 tune. P.s. Hi Duncan :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users