oil cooler

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Vladimir

Vladimir

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:02 PM

Hi, I am curious if someone has ever moved the oil cooler from the engine bay to the front?

Any possible guidance of how to trace the oil lines (pipes) on the sides?

I know that some of the elise models have front mounted oil cooler, any kind of schematic/pictures would be a great help.

BR

Vladimir

#2 Andyeddie

Andyeddie

• PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Cars, winding up toss pots, grammer, haggis, kilts, football, food, modern archiology, doughnuts, Rootes group cars, Glam rock, The Who, Led Zep, The Stones, INXS, other stuff.

Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:37 PM

Turbo or N/A, and why exactly do you want to do this. Are you experiencing high oil temperatures? Track use? Hard road driving?

#3 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:39 PM

why would you run it to the front?

It's water not air cooled

#4 Vladimir

Vladimir

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:14 AM

I know that it's originally water to oil cooled. I am looking into the alternatives to laminova coolers.

Mine is N/A, it's time to change the original setrab cooler due to it's age and since I have bumper vents, I am thinking of separating cooling and oil and moving oil cooler to the front.

Idea is to put supply and return line in the aluminum pipes and guide them parralel to the cooling pipe line on one side. The rest will be connected with the flexible hose.

Or keep it simple and get laminova cooler :)

#5 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:19 AM

Sounds like a lot of effort for little gain imo If you want to replace the oil cooler due to age and can't locate a new one then just fit a mocal laminova heat exchanger

#6 Andyeddie

Andyeddie

• PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Cars, winding up toss pots, grammer, haggis, kilts, football, food, modern archiology, doughnuts, Rootes group cars, Glam rock, The Who, Led Zep, The Stones, INXS, other stuff.

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

I think I would be looking to enhance the water cooling via the various methods commonly discussed on the forum, thus significantly lowering the oil temperature. As an alternative, Many N/A owners have fitted turbo ears which greatly improves air flow over the engine having an enhanced cooling effect.

#7 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

I think I would be looking to enhance the water cooling via the various methods commonly discussed on the forum, thus significantly lowering the oil temperature. As an alternative, Many N/A owners have fitted turbo ears which greatly improves air flow over the engine having an enhanced cooling effect.

Both of these are incorrect.

#8 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

If you run oil lines to the front of the vehicle you'll make the oil pump work a lot harder, this will increase temperature more and increase the thermal mass of the system. i wouldn't recommend it.

Given that your car is an N/A, I would suggest changing to a sidepod mounted air to oil cooler if you want to change the system, however the oil to water coolers are generally better as the cooling is not traffic dependant. 

In reality, your car has a good oil cooling setup straight from the factory. I would simply replace it with a newer oil to water cooler.

#9 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

You're trying to solve a problem that doesnt exist

#10 Andyeddie

Andyeddie

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:09 PM

Not so, both are perfectly correct.

#11 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:18 PM

You're trying to solve a problem that doesnt exist

Why would that stop anyone on here from doing the myriad of pointless things they do :lol: Just because the cooler is old, does not mean it is done for... if it's failed, sure replace it.

#12 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:44 AM

Not so, both are perfectly correct.

1. There are very few mods that successfully lower coolant temperature, therefore nothing that affects oil temperature

2. Turbo ears are mostly cosmetic. Winstar conducting a lot of modelling work which agreed with this. Fit bigger or more NACA ducts instead if you want to cool the engine bay. Does this lower coolant temp? See above.

#13 Andyeddie

Andyeddie

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:16 AM

Both of my points are perfectly correct in the context given. I wouldn't do either personally, but just trying to give the guy advice, as that's what he came on here looking for. Not some surly negativity.

#14 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

Both of my points are perfectly correct in the context given. I wouldn't do either personally, but just trying to give the guy advice, as that's what he came on here looking for. Not some surly negativity.

But they're not, because neither affect temperature. 

#15 Vladimir

Vladimir

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

Thank you all for the feedback. Reading the thread, there are basically only Mocal oil to water coolers the only reasonable solution.

Dimentions, as far as I understood, are 38mm on the water side and ½ bsp (female) on the oil hose? 

#16 Vladimir

Vladimir

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

One more question,

Laminova offers several coolers which fit the dimensions, "standard" cooler beeing used is that one http://www.laminova....drw/SA00168.pdf. 0,9 kilos with connectors 38Ø water and 12JIC oil side, adapter is needed from 12JIC to 1/2 BSP.

Would it be beneficial to fit bigger EC54-329 version of the cooler http://www.laminova....drw/SA00434.pdf, same connections the difference is only weight, which is 1,9 kilos?

#17 Andyeddie

Andyeddie

• PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

But they're not, because neither affect temperature. 
But they are, because they do.

#18 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

How strange, why do I suddenly find myself thinking of Donald Trump?

#19 Vladimir

Vladimir

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

Bringing the topic to the original question, could someone describe the feelings after installing of the Laminova water-oil cooler? Which size and how has it affected the temperature?

#20 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

I believe only AliM did this mod, and she sold her car a few months ago.

You could still ping her about the experience though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil cooler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users