fuel n/a aeroquip mods upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

[color=rgb(69,69,69);font-family:Helvetica;font-size:12px;]Hello good people. [/color]

Does anyone know if there's a company that does a set of fuel lines for the N/A?  Preferably Aeroquip or similar?

Thanks 

Ian

Edited by ee601, 10 April 2017 - 12:30 PM.

#2 gertje

gertje

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

Think a have a set oem one here Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

#3 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:19 PM

Hi Gertje,

Thanks, but I'm hoping to get a bit of an upgrade from this, by going Aeroquip if possible.  And the car is S/C, so I think the routing is slightly different to complete OEM.?

#4 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Routing can remain the same. See here for parts needed for full braided lines. Would strongly recommend PTFE lined rather than rubber as rubber degrades and allows fuel vapour to escape. 

http://www.vx220.org...ded-fuel-lines/

Edited by fezzasus, 12 April 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#5 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

Thanks Fez. Yes, I saw that thread but I git a bit confused as it mentions one of the hoses isn't suitable for unleaded fuel. My existing routing is to the left like the Rally setup pic, to avoid the S/C belt, and the OEM setup goes right I think. I have a good friend who works at a motorsport engineering firm who's just kindly offered to get the lines made up for me if I can get my existing ones off to template from, which is great. My challenge is getting them off now, but other than being fiddly for access it looks quite doable, even for a mechanical numpty like me.. One question though - I'm assuming I need to go into the little access hatch behind the passenger seat for the connections to the fuel pump, yes?

#6 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

I don't think basing the lines off your OEM lines will really help, as the routing is very tight and not suited to overbraided lines.

Yes, you will need access to the fuel pump, you will also need to run the lines from the pump through the bulkhead, which is very fiddly. Ideally, you should re use the grommets which means the new fuel lines should be made with the grommets in place

#7 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

Thanks Fez.  I get the grommet thing, but it sounds like it could be a real pain using braided lines.  Would you suggest a better plan would be PTFE unbraided then?  I could just replace with similar to OEM, but I was hoping to make it a little upgrade if possible.

#8 fezzasus

fezzasus

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:05 AM

At some point is stops being an upgrade and just becomes work. The current fuel lines are a combination of hard plastic and steel, they're very resistant to fuel and the right shape. If you replace them with unbraided PTFE then you still have lines that are difficult to shape and require a lot of work to fit, but don't get the protection of having a steel overbraid (note - the main reason people replace their lines is because of concerns of SC belt breakage damaging the lines). Given the choice between the OEM lines or unbraided PTFE, i'd just stick with the OEM ones without agro of cut hands, cost or trial fitting as they don't bring any value.

A fair few people have fitted braided lines here, including myself - http://www.vx220.org...oday/?p=1884553 without much issue, if you're going to reinvent the wheel, i'd weigh up the pros and cons of doing so and exactly what you're looking to get out of doing this.

#9 ee601

ee601

• PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

Wise words Fez, thanks.  I was going by the theory that "if you take it apart then try and improve it when you put it back" but it sounds like I could just be making work for myself.

I know where my little leak is so initially I think I'll just replace that section and go from there.

Advice much appreciated, thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuel, n/a, aeroquip, mods, upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users