sc supercharged courtney map cat meltdown

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

How common is this? I know Dan r (Paul cp's old car) had the problem and Martin has had the issue with Dutch software, so I was wondering how common this problem was and what causes it? Running too rich? Any others we know of?

#2 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:43 PM

If I remember correctly Martin didn't adjust map for the new engine so was running rich

#3 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

Which caused the cat meltdown? Or was it too much rr time with too little cooling air flow?

#4 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:48 PM

Not that common, i don't think. 

I had a terrible noise that i thought was Cat rattle (on a tullet Cat) which i blamed on the richness of the map. It wasn't that at all in the end, the flexi had disintegrated. tullet fixed it for £200 iirc. 

#5 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

Don't know mate. FWIW I have a Courtney map in my SC with standard VX downpipe and CAT (with Miltek turbo backbox). Its been fine for the 3+ years its been in there.

#6 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

Chris uk killed a cat aswell

#7 PaulCP

PaulCP

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

Don't think you could call it common. My ex car was SC'd back in 2006 covering circa 35k miles up to selling it with a great deal of track use. The cat which failed was a 100cel Tullet fitted in 2008 and, although not used for 4 years, had probably done over 20k miles before I sold it (+ whatever mileage Dan had put on it) and had some hard track use including 2 very hot F frolics. Think the cat make up could probably be more of an issue rather than the mapping

Edited by PaulCP, 07 May 2017 - 08:37 AM.

#8 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

I also had suspected over-rich fueling from my CS map, which probably caused my bore wash.

Edited by Nev, 07 May 2017 - 09:00 AM.

#9 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

More just sh*t quality maybe? I got 30k SC'd mainly on CS map with a Milltek 200 cell cat fine. Did Haggi not have one fall apart within couple hundred miles? Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#10 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

Tullet cats are crap! A LOT of european speedsters had broken Tullet cats. Believe they were Magnaflows they used. They break on sc na's and high powered vxt's (inc. mine). Best thing, when ordering a downpipe from Tullet, ask for a HJS cat. Or use a oem vxt turbo cat (rework in and outlet to match bigger bore) for sc cars...   I also use the oem vxt cat for MOT now since my Tullet cat broke (did not drove 5000km with it!)

#11 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

The problem is that the HkS cats add £500 to the cost of the of the cat.

#12 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

Looking at what people spend in total on the car (especially when tracking), the extra 500 for a reliable cat is acceptable.

#13 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

My piper cat failed on track, i had a courtenay map but unsure if that was the cause. I paid £475 for my hjs cat.

#14 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

My Tullet cat failed soon after supercharging But the fueling was spot on Maybe it's more heat related rather than fuel

#15 ArticMonkey

ArticMonkey

On the run from the grammar police!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

My stock cat melted and blocked my exhaust at Snet in my old stage 2 vx mapped by CS. I put it down to how rich the mapping is.

#16 MartinS

MartinS

I only bought it for one summer. 14 years ago and now its gone&#

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Track days
    Pubs
    Sausages

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

Can I just say that Joe seems to have all sorts of ideas what happened to my car along the way and these 'ideas' keep being quoted. So far absolutely none of them have been even close to correct.

When my Saab engine went in it had the Dutch software with a start up map from Holland that allowed for all the features of that engine, it was then run in over a 1000 miles with the Dutch software mapping it all that way so the fuelling was as good as it could ever have been and was as well mapped as would ever be possible.To say I didn't adjust the map to allow for the new engine could not be more wrong.

Cats on my car were killed by excess oil due to the wrong running in procedure I was told to do and by the initial problems and excess use on rolling roads.

Heat build up generally kills them and if they start to melt then they get hotter and so on.

If you have a rattle it is more than likley the flexi joint starting to fall apart and the bits can block the cat. I had this twice, caused I think because each time a new cat was welded in, the angle changed slightly so my exhaust was put under pressure. Don't used the first rubber hanger as that helps stop the flexi joints from breaking.

In the end my car was running great but it was exhausts that broke me, I just didn't want to ever fit one ever again, and yet, very soon, I shall be fitting my old (repacked) 2tubular on to Laurens car. Its like a weird family heirloom being passed on!!

Martin S

Edited by MartinS, 08 May 2017 - 02:55 PM.

#17 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

My  Tullet cat  fell apart on my 3' stage 3 super charged car very early so went decat .fitted another silencer in its place .

#18 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

its starting to sound like cat failure is common with a SC car 

#19 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:49 PM

yes it it.

Decent steel cats seem to better at taking the abuse.

#20 tibby

tibby

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:POWER

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

Maybe use the Dbilas downpipes? (2.5 inch) Do'nt they use the same cat on their 300hp turbokit? Also price is nice .... http://www.dbilas-sh...22SE::7318.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sc, supercharged, courtney, map, cat, meltdown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users