6 replies to this topic

#1 mementaurum

mementaurum

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Fast, small cars

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

Hi Everybody,

looked around the forum for a z20leh engine conversion but cannot find a member who's done it. Think I read the ecu had to be changed (CAN), is this right?

On the CMS site is written that the conversion is a 1/1 but they do not write about the ecu.

If a complete engine (incl. turbo) with reasonable milage can be found it would be cheaper and less time consuming for a more serious power upgrade than keeping the z20let? For instance ±300 BHP.

Even tought of buying a complete car in the UK and try to sell the rest...

There are complete cars with high milage for 5000£ without collection costs

I will not change the gearbox, but how will this different engine affect the drivabililty, transmission, or is this a simple programming thing, Is it just the OPC/VXR that has a 6th gear?

Can we keep the same clutch, driveshaft, per se it is the same block? Will a differential be a must or does this depend on driving skills and some luck. Buying and mounting a Quaife is not cheap

Has anyone done this swap? If yes is there a good script of it?

A lot of questions? Yes, for sure. I am pleased with this car, how it drives and how it looks. But the idea of a stock looking engine and the high power it produces is top

and nobody has to know about it. The reason why we would also do this is the challenge, we have the room and equipment, we could have a few good laughs and even maybe even good thrills.

I'm not thinking about profit or losing money when (if) selling this little Pitbull

Budget : lets talk ± 5K nett. all parts included, I have now a decat and 200cell full Milltek (63mm), can it be kept as is in this build?

Thank You very much for input

PS : For the funny guys among us and considering the circumstances, a PSA engine is not an option

#2 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Women

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

no it's bolt on, I do run Z20LEH engine on my car. 

#3 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

The basic Z20LEH engine is very much the same to fit as the Z20LET, just with upgraded internals (you will still need forged rods to go much above 300 BHP). You can  still use the Z20LET ECU (remapped to suit) and just fit a decent clutch to the z20let flywheel and stick with the F23 box.

#4 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

you can now buy brand new mahle forged pistons as used in the LEH , but you do not need to do any of this for 300bhp

#5 mementaurum

mementaurum

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

Thank You for feedback on this,

I'll Check the thread Gilgamesh

There is a complete engine for ±2300£ with a turbo and all externals on it

I think of buying it but have to wait for the milage, and patience is mostly a better gift

looking foward

#6 chickendippers

chickendippers

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

For the cost of buying a second hand LEH engine, or buying an Astra VXR to take the engine out of, you may as well forge your LET.

The LEH pistons can take upto around 600bhp with a decent map, yet the weak point in the engine is still the rods so you won't see any real benefit.

#7 mementaurum

mementaurum

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

Chickendippers, thanks

any bits help, is there a thread of your build?

In the mean time I have a peak on the forum

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conversion, swap, ecu, loom, gearbox swap, z20leh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users