• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:36 AM

Fitted Scanadinavian Brake Services pads on the front last night. Top service from Steve, called Monday, delivered Tuesday. £65 + VAT and carriage, so just over 2/3 the price of Pagids. They are a carbon ceramic compound and SBS appear to offer 2 others, so if these do not work out there may be alternatives. Too early to give a difinitive opinion, but the early signs are good, in that they a/ stop the car b/ squeal like Pagid's c/ throw off lots of black dust Have to wait for Bedford at the end of the month to really test them :D Richiemouse and ECM, what are your views?

#2 dkennedyVXT

dkennedyVXT

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Driving:-) Mountain biking, Ice hockey, Snow Boarding

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:15 AM

I've also fitted these from Steve......had mine on for 6 weeks now and they've pretty much stopped squeeking and the amount of dust kicked off seems to be less than the OEM pads...IMHO. They sound great on grooved disks when breaking hard :D

#3 Northern

Northern

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:20 AM

Fitted Scanadinavian Brake Services pads on the front last night.

Top service from Steve, called Monday, delivered Tuesday.  £65 + VAT and carriage, so just over 2/3 the price of Pagids.

They are a carbon ceramic compound and SBS appear to offer 2 others, so if these do not work out there may be alternatives.

Too early to give a difinitive opinion, but the early signs are good, in that they
a/ stop the car
b/ squeal like Pagid's
c/ throw off lots of black dust

Have to wait for Bedford at the end of the month to really test them :D

Richiemouse and ECM, what are your views?

Were your discs OK after 1st lotus mate ;)

#4 Ducati996Senna

Ducati996Senna

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:29 AM

Do carbon ceramic cause any additional disc wear?

#5 Richiemouse

Richiemouse

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Football (gooner), Bikes

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:48 AM

Richiemouse and ECM, what are your views?

Very good so far, I've used them at the Ring and Anglesey and about 4500 miles in between (I love my car :D ). They squeal like a stuck pig after hard use on the track but this seem to lessen/disappear with lighter road use. They stop the car superbly and no fade encountered so far.

As far as disk wear is concerned I can tell you exactly how they fair as Steve replaced the front disks with re-skimmed original jobbies. I can measure the pad and disk wear after 5k miles if anyone is really that interested.

#6 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:17 AM

Ducati, not that bothered on the basis that my discs cost £24 each, which is less than ONE PAD. I changed my original discs after about 25K miles. I have no doubt that cheap discs and Pagid's was the way forward for me, just trying SBS to keep the costs down.

#7 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:20 AM

Were your discs OK after 1st lotus mate

They were, the Pagid pads have some metal protrusions from the backplate, presumable to secure the friction material. It was those that were on the disc and there was plently of meat left on the pads (about 1mm :o )

And they were new in July :blink:

#8 garyk220

garyk220

VX parts all sold, saving for replacement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:30 AM

My EBC grooved discs are looking a little secondhand after running Pagid RS14s all summer. The discs have done about 13k (mostly on the rear) and 6k (fronts). I expect I'll have to replace the discs each time I get a new set of pads, which at the moment looks like it will be once a year or 12k miles. PS Andrew, I wish I could find someone to supply the Elise 4 stud version of the discs for £100 a set :(

#9 Mr_M

Mr_M

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:32 AM

I fitted SBS front and rear a couple of weeks ago ( also a big thumbsup to Steve). Not had chance to use them on track yet, but on the road they're a BIG imporvement over OEM (and I've not had any squeaking... yet). WIll post updates on their performance when I have them

#10 ECM

ECM

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:44 AM

Thoughts so far (1 track day (Anglesey) and a few thousand miles) on the SBS. Price for pads front and back £160ish inc VAT Not as much squeel as expected although after a track day the first few hundred miles are just as Richiemouse describes - quite annoying but it has stopped (but not for too long ;) ) They do give off some black dust but not as much as the OEMs IMO Not had RS14s on my car so I can't compare but they are much better than the OEM pads that they replaced and I've not see much fade yet at Brunters or Anglesey if at all thumbsup I'm still on the std fluid as well (10k miles, 13 monnths and 2 track days old - yes it is starting to turn black - next stop 5 DOT 1 fluid) Not too sure how hard I worked them on track as I'm still "playing myself in" to the track day thing - no doubt you'll give them more of a test at Bedford :) nlet us know how it goes. Overall I'm very happy with them and will probably fit again when time comes to replace them thumbsup Can't compare to Pagids as I said but then that's your job Partridge :) BTW the SBS leave a build up of the ceramic / carbon stuff on the disc so if yor are going to swap for something else SS tell me you need to sand the disc surface a bit to remove this as it will foul the (non SBS) new pad.

#11 ECM

ECM

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:45 AM

Damn this slow internet / double posting s**t

Edited by ECM, 06 October 2004 - 12:34 PM.

#12 ECM

ECM

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 10:09 PM

Have you reached a verdict after Bedford this weekend Partridge?

#13 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 01:39 PM

As someone who normally has a clear opinion on everything, I at a bit of a loss. The easy bit, they shed a fraction of the dust my Pagids did. Performance is more difficult. When first fitted, I felt had less bite than the RS14's and had a couple of sticky moments when I was not being retarded as rapidly as I was used to and had to apply much more pressure (or put another way, a panic stamp). Think I am familiarised to the pressure required to make them work. On track there was some alarming initial grab after which they worked well. They were fade free and the wear rate is as least as good as Pagids. The only conclusion I can give is the RS14's have allways operated perfectly. The SBS work well, but are neither as efficient in all conditions nor as predicatable. They may be cheaper, but with carriage I paid £90 for the fronts. Cant remember the cost of front 14's, but £120? If SBS were £60, then they may be worth staying with, but at £90, I think I will return to the Pagids and a bumper tub of wheel cleaning solution.

#14 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:11 PM

Partridge - did you have the ABS switched off at Bedford? Whatever you were using, the stopping power of your car was incredible!

#15 Pidgeon

Pidgeon

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,254 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:16 PM

That is another odd one Jim. I have never pulled the ABS fuse. For me it works very, very well and I know I could not reduce braking distance without the ABS, regardless of conditions. Guess I am on my own on that one..............

#16 Bengie

Bengie

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:22 PM

Actually, I think the ABS works fine. I've never, ever, had a problem with it on track - on standard pads, or with Greenstuff. I've only once had what may have been the problem that other people are getting, but that was at such slow speed that it didn't matter to me - I just pressed harder, and the car slowed enough for what I wanted. Not saying that there isn't a problem, or that other people haven't had problems btw... :)

#17 Jim_Cross

Jim_Cross

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:41 PM

That's strange! My ABS was a nightmare at the start of the day. As I got smoother on the brakes it improved a lot throughout the day, and only activated a handful of times during the last session. However, I'm sure I could not have been as brutal as Partridge with the brakes without triggering it :unsure:

#18 ECM

ECM

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:15 PM

Partridge - thanks for letting us know you thoughts thumbsup . I think that I'll give the Pagids a go next time I need a change so I to can compare and contrast. Edited to add. Jim - my ABS experience is much the same as Partridge's. Although I would say I brake a bit earlier than Partridge, the ABS has only ever been noticeable on track when I really stamped on the pedal in a concerted effort to see what it was like when being really aggressive with it and I expected the ABS to fire as it did. On the road the only times it has fired in that sort of way has been on really bumpy, gravely bits and TBH if the road surface is bad then bad stuff can happen. I admit that I do now drive with this in mind as when it does fire there's not much stopping going on :o .

Edited by ECM, 01 November 2004 - 06:22 PM.

#19 chetwin

chetwin

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 06:48 PM

Along with Partridge and Bengie i've had no problems with ABS, (initially OEM, now Pagids) even when used very hard trying to replicate the problems - only time it's really kicked in is heading backwards on 1st Lotus day! Initially I drove as though brakes could let me down at any time. Now I don't. I just hope my faith is justified.

#20 benw

benw

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 07:55 PM

Okay, so when we're all together at Brunters in December we get those who have no problems with ABS to drive the cars of those who do have problems and vice versa. Then we'll see if it's down to the driver of the car. So who's up for it? You can use my car as an example of one which suffers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users