12 replies to this topic

#1 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts
  • Interests:Big baps.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

So my triumph motorcycle develops a fault - it sometimes showed 6th gear on the indicator (it only has 5 gears). Then the gear indicator stopped working and the neutral light didn't show - which you need for an MOT.

So I order a new sensor, which I have to pick up in Zurich. The old sensor's block connector gets trapped round the back of the gearbox and after a few hours of messing around I just cut the cable and remove it, only to find out the new sensor has a different block connector.

So I go back to the shop and they say yes you need a different sensor and a kit that it comes with. Wait a week for it and it turns out exactly the same as the previous sensor but with an extra bit of wire to connect it up. I ask if this just plugs in - doesn't need a reflash or anything? No they say, plug and prey play. It does all plugs in easily, in fact you can't plug it in wrong as all the block connectors are different.

Start the bike and not only does the neutral light not work, neither does the gear indicator, the engine management light is on, and the speedo doesn't work.

So I call the garage to get them to fix it, but they're busy so I have to wait a week.

Picked it up today. What did I do wrong - it needs a re-flash and there was also a fault with the new part.

During all this time I've had to postpone the Swiss MOT twice at a cost of £30 each time.

I don't know what the moral of the story is - get a bicycle?

Sorry to bore you with all this, just wanted to get it off my chest.

#2 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:28 AM

Sometimes it's a combination of all the small things that ended up being the most frustrating.

#3 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:49 AM

Sounds like a right PITA.

Answer? Get another bike [obviously keep the Triumph also]

#4 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

Sounds like a right PITA.

Answer? Get another bike [obviously keep the Triumph also]

I've already got two other bikes. I have an 18 year old BMW that's stuck in second gear (thinking of scrapping it) and a Honda I bought in the UK that I still haven't got round to officially importing.

I think I need less vehicles.  

#5 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

The nub of the problem is that (very) sadly virtually all companies seem to manufacture quantity over quality.

Imagine if Triumph had made just 3 motorcycles instead of 20 or whatever, and made them all 100% brilliant with 100% consistently compatible parts with 100% documentation with 100% quality machined parts.

I see this issue in just about every aspect of life. My latest bugbear is a new frying pan spatula we have, when you rest it on the side of the pan the plastic simply melts and makes deep niches. How can you design/test a spatula and not even notice it has to rest on the side of a frying pan without turning into liquid??!!

Lack of culpability from these fukwits.

Edited by Nev, 20 June 2017 - 08:50 AM.

#6 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

I've got to say the bike's been reliable over the 6 years I've had it. This has been the only thing that's gone wrong apart from the battery. Having said that, Triumph has redesigned this particular part 3 times during the models life, and I thiink it's on many other of their models.

#7 Tommo

Tommo

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:51 AM

I've got to say the bike's been reliable over the 6 years I've had it. This has been the only thing that's gone wrong apart from the battery. Having said that, Triumph has redesigned this particular part 3 times during the models life, and I thiink it's on many other of their models.

Which Triumph have you got Kurt?

My Daytona has been faultless to be fair (touch wood).  32k miles and it seems to be going strong.  only had it for a year though.

#8 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

It's a Rocket III Roadster (a very stupid bike). It's not done a lot of miles (<10k). I was going to sell it but all this has delayed a sale for the start of the summer so will keep it until the spring. I love the bike but they've just stopped production pending a new one in a year or so, so now is a good time to sell - people thinking it's going to be a classic not knowing there's a replacement.

#9 Tommo

Tommo

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:30 PM

nice!

i've had my eye on a Rocket III purely for the mental-ness of it. There's one for sale just up the road but i've held off going to take it for a test ride in case i can't resist buying it.

#10 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

They are nuts, but also hilarious. A lot of fun at road speeds if it's not too twisty. It's also fun asking Harley riders how they manage with such small engines.

Needs a lot of polishing though.

#11 Tommo

Tommo

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:28 PM

yeh, they look like they'd need a lot of attention, worth it though as you say, just to wind up Harlye riders!

I did my first long ride on the Daytona (Leicester to Poole and back - 190 miles each way). When i got back last night i was in pieces, its definitely not a bike built to cruise motorways on.  i think i'll stick to weekend riding on it.

Edited by Tommo, 06 July 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#12 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:10 PM

I see this issue in just about every aspect of life. My latest bugbear is a new frying pan spatula we have, when you rest it on the side of the pan the plastic simply melts and makes deep niches. How can you design/test a spatula and not even notice it has to rest on the side of a frying pan without turning into liquid??!!

We have the matching frying pan Nev.  Very nice cast aluminium pan with a black handle - which started shedding it's black powder coating, or whatever it is, at the second pass through the dishwasher.  After three months we have a very nice cast aluminium pan with a rusty steel handle, it will be in the bin soon!

#13 KurtVerbose

KurtVerbose

His Serene Highness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:36 AM

I did my first long ride on the Daytona (Leicester to Poole and back - 190 miles each way). When i got back last night i was in pieces, its definitely not a bike built to cruise motorways on.  i think i'll stick to weekend riding on it.

I bought the bike in North Wales and due to a mixup had to ride it back to Luzern in one go - over 900 miles. Actually, it wasn't too bad. I think the Rocket is a bit more compfy than a Daytona.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users