rant

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ginek

ginek

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

sorry, I need to rant and only fellow vx220/speedster owners can understand me. It seems I use more time tuning (repairing) my Speedster than driving it. This year I only found time to drive about 300km. Car was sitting clam-less for a while with a problem on electronic water pump. I bought and changed a new pump only to found out the controller actually failed, not the pump (and would be much easier repair of course. No clam removal and 5 minute job. I should made better diagnosis. The old controller was working from the outside view, but the pump driving N-FET failed, thus no voltage at the.output).

After all the testing and clam back on, some extra air bleeding was needed and of course I snapped the only remaining plastic bleeding bolt on the coolant return pipe. Sorted quickly with clam on. Then I failed the emission test at MOT yesterday... $#"R%$F"  Lambda was OK, but too much CO. Looks like duff cat and perhaps still weak fuel mapping. If anyone can advice how to tune Alpha-N setup for better emission, let me know. I don't care if it's not driveable and I need to change the map before/after MOT testing. Leaning it out doesn't help, as lambda needs to be within the limit. Maybe I can retard ignition for extra 5 degrees. I'd even buy a 500 cell cat if needed so the air that exists is fresher than in average Alp mountain village. (I mean, that's totally ridiculous as the pollution I made in 5 years was less than a diesel currier van made in a week) The drive to MOT and back was great fun tough! The noise from ITB and rawness, you cannot drive this car slow. If anything can fail at my car, it will. If the car works and is registered for the road, then is snowing or raining or I have most unexpected activity to take... It seems I need another - keep it as standard as possible - one. :) Or should I keep this one and complement with something else that works reliably when I need it most (like a SL or Boxster, I'm old enough for those).

Wish you all a working vx220!!!

#2 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

you cannot drive this car slow.

oh yes you can !!! and have had the car for almost 16 years and it is all in the foot  :rolleyes: .......

mine as been absolutely brilliant since the new engine was fitted ..6000 miles and stress free and contemplating to sale it but i know this will be a massive mistake because i have nothing in mind to replace such a good car to drive specially with the ITB,S on full chat ...

chin up as i did say it took me 16 years to finally achieve a wonderful little beast  :happy:

and ps find a MOT friendly garage .......

Edited by Crazyfrog (Fab), 11 October 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#3 SteveA

SteveA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,151 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

i have nothing in mind to replace such a good car to drive specially with the ITB,S on full chat ...

Caterham ;)

#4 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

i have nothing in mind to replace such a good car to drive specially with the ITB,S on full chat ...

Caterham ;)

trying to get rid of my toys ....lol     and yes drove fews caterham and best little beast to learn to improve how to drive on a track....

#5 ginek

ginek

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

Fab, that statements on driving slowly is wrong choice of words. Of course you can drive slowly, but it always asks for more. I downshift and let it bark on throttle, whenever I can. :)

Anyway, I spent 1/2 of gasoline tank on adjusting the fueling at idle (no load) only, make it run a little bit hotter. I played with ignition retard, it cooled down the combustion in engine actually, not sure whether that helped or brought the opposite effect.

It helped on emission, plus MOT guys were more friendly today, so let it drive for another year, hopefully will have more time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users