28 replies to this topic

#1 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

Hi All,

Went to use my TT GO930 yesterday and the touchscreen no longer works rendering it useless. Contacted TT and this was their reply.

Dear Mr Thorpe,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

Sorry to hear the touchscreen on your device is unresponsive. This is a hardware related issue that can not be overcome with a reset, update, or by troubleshooting, and would ordinarily require a repair to resolve.

Your 2008 GO 930 device is end-of-life model. This means that repairs are no longer possible as the parts are no longer manufactured. The TomTom product lifecycle is explained further here: https://www.tomtom.c...solete-products/

We do have a support website (www.tomtom.com/support) where you can find the answers to any questions you may have and a forum where you can connect with other TomTom users. The forum (http://discussions.tomtom.com ) is full of expert advice and is a great place to ask any questions.

Loyalty Discount
--------------------
If you’re interested in upgrading to one of the latest TomTom models, we can offer you a 25% discount if you would like to buy a brand new device purchased through our webshop.

For example, a comparable product you might be interested in is a GO 5200 WiFi, which comes with Lifetime World Maps, Traffic and Speed Camera updates included. In the online store it's listed as £299.99, which would be reduced to £224.99 with your 25% loyalty discount. We can include a free carry case for good measure. Take your time having a look at the different products here:

Please reply to this email to take advantage of the 25% discount on your new device and I'll get back to you to assist.

With Kind Regards

Haylee G

Yep ok it's 10years old but I've looked after it and not dropped down the toilet or anything, it looks brand new. So I'm a bit miffed with TT.

Anyway I do need a satnav so what do i go for? another TT with probable built in redundancy!!? a Garmin? or the cheapest option, my mobile phone. I have used my phone in the past but found that the GPS would hang notably when it was important not to do so - therefore I have my reservations.

Your comments guys would be most appreciated.

Chris

#2 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:07 AM

Google maps on your phone. Job done

#3 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:15 AM

It's crap and counter productive for the world as a whole isn't it?

I hate this sort of thing, companies deliberately making things knowing they will fail very quickly and not supporting them as well as deliberately making them non modular (ie fixable) and basically washing their hands of their own products.

The iPhone is another classic example, yet people just buy these things like it was good value for money. :wacko:

Edited by Nev, 19 April 2018 - 10:20 AM.

#4 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

As you already said its 10 years old... stop being a tight wad lol 

You got your money out of it either buy a new one or as above use the in-car or phone with google maps.

#5 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

I see you can buy the screen from ebay for £25 if you wish to be brave 

#6 Mattyboi

Mattyboi

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

Agreed Nev, apple phones and iPods are terrible for this!

*Shameful plug* I have a Tom Tom GO5100 with lifetime traffic I've only used twice if you interested in buying a second hand one. Its as new and I bought it for euro road trips but they never happened. Its just been sat in its box and I'd all but forgotten about it until I read this thread. Anyway, PM me if your interested.

#7 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

£6.99 https://www.ebay.co....n-/231268385680

#8 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

Haha still have one in the car as backup as Satnavs can sometimes throw in a wobbly.

@ChrisUK very tempted by the Google maps route (especially as I've got such a good phone :happy: ) but I've been let down on a couple of occasions when the GPS has stopped.

I feel guilty (a bit) about how reliant I've become on this tech.

#9 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

I got a nasty email from TT about the lifetime maps option being stopped. I think my TT is a classic XXL something so ancient , but still nicer interface and waypoint support than newer version.

#10 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:34 PM

Likewise, I have a TT One XL Europe and it no longer gets updates even though I had paid for a years worth, ie four, and only taken three.  Mine switches itself on in the middle of the night and I hear the lovely Joanna Lumley telling me that 'You have arrived Darling' until her battery goes flat.  Got a very dusty response from TT when I raised that with them.

#11 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:29 PM

Hi Chris,

I would give Sygic a try (for Iphone or Android). There is a free version.

It supports offline maps so you don't even need a data connection.

I wouldn't rely on being able to get decent data coverage whilst in the middle of nowhere on a VX eurotrip thats for sure!

#12 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

Google maps (on Android, in my case) all the way. Haven't used a 'standalone' SatNav for years..

#13 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

I got a nasty email from TT about the lifetime maps option being stopped. I think my TT is a classic XXL something so ancient , but still nicer interface and waypoint support than newer version.

Yeah I got that too and resolved never to buy TomTom again. Seeing Chris's post makes me doubly resolved.

#14 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:47 AM

Regarding phone based mapping/route planning. Can you put in waypoints so that you can plan exactly what roads you travel on? On my old TT I could devise itinerary files using TYRE which worked really well.

#15 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

Regarding phone based mapping/route planning. Can you put in waypoints so that you can plan exactly what roads you travel on? On my old TT I could devise itinerary files using TYRE which worked really well.

In the past I just used google maps , but they have made worse the waypoint "drag route" options , limiting the number of stops . But it will just them beam the map straight over to your android phone.

#16 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

You wouldnt expect much more than 2years out of a phone. Not sure why Tomtom are expected to last 5 times longer. I think you got a very polite email. Now use waze on your phone. Its free, but you still need to get a new phone every couple of years ;)

#17 Sutol

Sutol

Well it's nearly a Lotus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

@JG, it's just the notion of this throwaway society we live in. I just have it in the back of my mind that there was a little clock ticking away ready to shut the thing down after 10 years. My phone does what I want but does suffer from a lack of memory, so needs regular clean outs so that it will function properly. So perhaps a new phone anyway.

#18 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:06 AM

10 years life for something like this is fantastic, not sure if serious!? Our Xbox one has just stopped working; one month outside its 12mth warranty. Microsoft are not interested. Now that really grinds my piss.

#19 Acidpopstar

Acidpopstar

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts
  • Interests:Playing and teaching guitar / driving

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:41 AM

Google maps on my iPhone navigated me across Europe without fuss. Not gonna bother with a satnav again. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 JG

JG

• 13,609 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:44 AM

@JG, it's just the notion of this throwaway society we live in. I just have it in the back of my mind that there was a little clock ticking away ready to shut the thing down after 10 years. My phone does what I want but does suffer from a lack of memory, so needs regular clean outs so that it will function properly. So perhaps a new phone anyway.

To the cloud! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: satnav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users