41 replies to this topic

#21 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:43 AM

I fitted my gurney strip approx 5 years ago to improve the airflow out. I used a cut down strip of black upvc gutter to form my gurney. It naturally curves & is easy to fit. 

At the same time, I removed both front grill & bonnet grills to increase air through the rad & out again. Stones thrown up on track, being heavy, just bounce off the back face & not up onto the radiator core.

I'm just about to adapt my bonnet lid to much more like a Lotus Exige S1's bonnet area. 

IMG_5915_zpskficd7d4.jpg

#22 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:40 PM

Not seen these gurney flaps before - might look into it - the name is worth it in itself  :P

Quick google of it - seems originally applied to wings. I assume here its creating some lower pressure behind it helping air to be pulled out of the bonnet?

#23 slindborg

slindborg

The Bishop of Stortford

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,602 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:49 PM

I have to say it irritates me when I see it described as a gurney flap as this is a completely different phenomenon and using one for this is actually a really inefficient way to achieve the effect.

you bunch of blind bellends :P

#24 Steve.i.am

Steve.i.am

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Interests:Bends

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:39 PM

I have to say it irritates me when I see it described as a gurney flap as this is a completely different phenomenon and using one for this is actually a really inefficient way to achieve the effect.

you bunch of blind bellends :P

:lol: Do I have to read it properly.. ok then.. 

#25 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

Cheers guys, off to B&Q for car parts then 😀

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#26 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

I made the three vent bonnet to try to match the outlet area to the inlet area. I have absolutely no evidence for effectiveness but I like the look of it.

#27 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:14 PM

I made the three vent bonnet to try to match the outlet area to the inlet area. I have absolutely no evidence for effectiveness but I like the look of it.

...I am removing all of the fibreglass area within the outer chamfer on the bonnet & making a single opening with a smooth swept curve out from the rad housing to the back edge.

As I usually stay out on track for long stints, any & all additional cooling is both beneficial & welcome. The gurney strip will allow a more efficient exit path into the air flow above the bonnet.

#28 leevx2.2

leevx2.2

Turbo's are for girls and throttle bodies are too slow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts
  • Interests:Taking apart vx220s for fun
    getting p!!sed
    genraly playing with large power tools

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:55 PM

Well thats crazy been thinking of doing this gurney thing for years but not suffered to much with heat .At snett really suffered with heat problems it was a hot day fitting this has nocked 6 degres of my cruising temp i did remove my stiemetz grill as well  but bloody hell, i booted in 5th  gear  and still only went up to 86 my car has never run 86 on a normal run it is running 84 at 80mph cruising ,top result well happy 

#29 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

...I am removing all of the fibreglass area within the outer chamfer on the bonnet & making a single opening with a smooth swept curve out from the rad housing to the back edge.

As I usually stay out on track for long stints, any & all additional cooling is both beneficial & welcome. The gurney strip will allow a more efficient exit path into the air flow above the bonnet.

You may need to add fasteners at the corners for this. When I cut out the centre to make mine it got a bit 'whippy'. I'd hate to see it break up out on track.

#30 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:54 AM

You may need to add fasteners at the corners for this. When I cut out the centre to make mine it got a bit 'whippy'. I'd hate to see it break up out on track.

👍🏻

#31 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

Well thats crazy been thinking of doing this gurney thing for years but not suffered to much with heat .At snett really suffered with heat problems it was a hot day fitting this has nocked 6 degres of my cruising temp i did remove my stiemetz grill as well but bloody hell, i booted in 5th gear and still only went up to 86 my car has never run 86 on a normal run it is running 84 at 80mph cruising ,top result well happy

Lee,

You can cruise around on a tide of torque & power! I have to give my car maximum thrashing just keep up with you boys with Harrop'd cars. Even then, Im still much slower! Admittedly, I don't worry too much about water temps now, as thats pretty much under control in normal UK summer weather conditions, even after prolonged stints on track.

#32 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:48 PM

You’re gonna have to pedal well these days, Vx world has got a lot quicker even in the mighty Na (which currently isn’t so mighty lol)

#33 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

Probably the best improvement I made was to remove one of the two fans that come with the charge cooler rad. As I do still occasionally drive it on the road I wanted to keep one and have never had a problem in traffic. If it’s a purely track car bin both of them.

Edited by Dave E, 02 August 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#34 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:53 PM

You’re gonna have to pedal well these days, Vx world has got a lot quicker even in the mighty Na (which currently isn’t so mighty lol)

Sounds like a challenge!

How quick is quick? Are you all sub 2:10 at snetterton now?

#35 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:35 PM

Probably the best improvement I made was to remove one of the two fans that come with the charge cooler rad. As I do still occasionally drive it on the road I wanted to keep one and have never had a problem in traffic. If it’s a purely track car bin both of them.

I also wanted to remove both fans, but BOT didn't think it was a good idea for heat soak back in the pits where temps soar. They didn't even recommend removing one?

#36 Dave E

Dave E

I LOVE SNETTERTON

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:51 PM

Good point about when you get back to pits, all I'd say is with one I've had no problems but I do have a very steady in lap. I've also fitted a fan override switch which I turn on on my cool down lap.

#37 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• 13,727 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

I just have a lower trigger point on my first map than my second map so when I've finished on track I switch to road map and fan kicks in until the temps come down to 90 degrees
Track map come in at 101 which I've never seen on track

My cruising temps on road since going saab are 83 degrees

#38 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

More use for my dremmel...Bigger grill opening 

I am surprised how much air bypasses the radiator due to large gaps between the crash box & front of the clam & also from the back of the radiator into the front compartment. I'm hoping to form a new aluminium scoop with sidewalls inside the crash box & also get the fibreglass company to make a proper fitting cowl with a door rubber seal for my new modified bonnet. 

I will also be adding fixings for my front splitter to bolt to the crash box & rad housing.

IMG_6184_zpschibxibw.jpg

#39 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:38 PM

i'll just leave this here for you max :P

http://www.proalloy....713&id=proalloy

#40 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:44 PM

Ha ha ha....

The air enters the front & exits out the back, where you tend to be....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users