Vx220 Noob And Advice

noob vx220 lsd

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Seagezini

Seagezini

• 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:22 PM

After much deliberation, I think I've finally narrowed it down to a VX220. Seems like a lot of car for the money.

I Mainly want to use it for track days, but also take it for some weekend blasts and possibly a Europe trip once a year. 

Guess Supercharged would be best as power delivery is more linear. 

Also seat wise, I do often share track days with friends as it keeps the cost down, so buckets are good, but it's often annoying as most are bolted down. 

Would standard seats with a harness bar and 4 points harnesses work well enough?

Or which bucket seats do fit on runners, bearing in mind I'm 6ft, so probably can't have anything which lifts me up too much. 

One other thing I've noticed is a lot don't come with LSD's, I've had a BMW track car without an LSD and really didn't get on with it, I know a vx220 is lighter and far grippier, but does is it easy enough to powerslide out? Alternatively seen a quafie LSD is £700ish, anyone know how much fitting would be? 

One last thing, would anyone be kind enough to let me sit in one? I'm based in Surbiton, South London way.

Thanks! 

#2 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

VX is a good choice, SC even more so..

Standard seats are fine (for me, anyway) with regard to comfort/support on track but don't have harness cut-outs so not recommended for harnesses. You can cut harness holes (loads have), find some Lotus seats (with runners) or go aftermarket - Corbeau LE (from memory) are easy replacements.

No VXs came with LSDs from factory and I've never had need for one, but - again - some have.

You're welcome to come and sit in mine if you fancy a run down the A3/A31 to Farnham..   thumbsup

#3 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

My gripe with std seats is they dont support the shoulders at all.

#4 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:02 PM

You can't really use the standard seats with a harness. Dangerous as there are no cutouts.

You would have to either bodge the cutouts yourself, get a good retrim done including the cutouts (Dave the Trimmer still going?) or get a pair of VXR or Lotus sport seats that already have the cutouts. 

Or bucket seats!

#5 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:06 PM

I know I'm skinny, but seriously, my next mod has to be seats and harnesses.  There are a few corners at Combe where I'm sure I'd be quicker if I wasn't battling to stay in the drivers seat.

#6 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:48 PM

Tillett B5 seats fit and have the benefit of being really good on track and more comfy than the standard seat.

I'm a 5'6 short arse but a mate has them in his car he's about 6' and also finds them super comfy.

#7 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:51 PM

I know I'm skinny, but seriously, my next mod has to be seats and harnesses.  There are a few corners at Combe where I'm sure I'd be quicker if I wasn't battling to stay in the drivers seat.

If you get any faster I won't want to be a passenger any more ;) as you're already 5 secs faster than JJJ.

Edited by Nev, 31 July 2018 - 06:51 PM.

#8 Dan r

Dan r

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:12 PM

I'm in Brighton with an sc vx and aftermarket seats (think hanger 11)with harness holes, thought they were great until I got on track, wish I kept the harnesses and bar from my last car as there's not much support.
If you're down this way let me know and you can have a look.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

#9 Seagezini

Seagezini

• 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys!

And Strugs, away next week, but might hit you up after for a sit-in one.

#10 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:36 AM

but does is it easy enough to powerslide out? Alternatively seen a quafie LSD is £700ish, anyone know how much fitting would be?

Beware short wheelbase, low polar moment of inertia, 'heavy' tail and limited steering lock on these cars.

Drifting/sliding is one thing these cars do not do well and their setup reflects this. Tight driving lines with as little scrubbing and sliding as possible usually gets the quickest laps.

Not saying you can't go mad with them ( For fun have Andrew Walsh take you out for a spin.. thumbsup  ) and go all tail-out lairy, but doing it can be a lot more 'knife edge' than a regular front engined RWD car as far as slide-going-into-uncontrollable-spin.

As far as behaviour it's better to think of these cars more as '911' behaviour and less 'BMW' behaviour especially where lift-off or trailing oversteer is involved.

Bye, Arno.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noob, vx220, lsd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users