188 replies to this topic

#141 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:04 PM

What's an archoiner? I can't find the Flymo part number?

#142 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:14 PM

arch liner

too much playing with Flymos Joe :lol:

#143 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:27 PM

I don’t see anything about a anchorage?! :ninja:

#144 CHILL Gone DUTCH

CHILL Gone DUTCH

I ADMIT BATMAN THINKS HE IS QUICKER THAN ME

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:45 PM

Should try a mk 7 transit light on its side

#145 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:47 AM

...Guy's what's happening to me? I'm early starting to REALLY like my new look VX which is slowly transforming in front of me into this new thing? Sure, many will think it's a step too far for. I say, it's a revamped VX220 with many of the awkward areas reworked to a more aggressive, desirable, dare I say it out loud, modern supercar with up-to-date looks and IMO, a cohesive overall design that could almost be OEM and better looking to my eye than the lotus Europa, which now looks dated and bland.

Now, I'm thinking of buying a road usable VX and then change it to look like my current car I'm working on. However, I would only want 250(ish) BHP in stage 2 SC guise with TC, MUCH improved heating and air con system, heated screen for de-misting, electric folding mirrors, central locking, auto dipping mirrors (being so low), decent soundproofing, a new look dashboard, Bluetooth music streaming & damn it, heated seats, just for the occasional weekend blast. It will certainly be more than enough for my driving needs. Or perhaps Audi power?.....mmmmm?

I'm relooking at the rear lights at the moment and have a couple of banging ideas. (See, I can even do the youth lingo!) Bugger it, I'm going to start wearing my peak cap back to front from today onwards and get my nose pierced!

#146 swast4

swast4

• PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:11 AM

I'm loving the enthusiasm
👍

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

#147 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:08 AM

Resolving the bonnet profile:

I was expecting to have finished early yesterday afternoon and to have had a chance to jump back on to the front end, which is starting to dragging on. But Alas, problems on-site yesterday meant that didn't happen. I did, however, manage to make a start on forming the headlight edges and resolved the bonnet profile and outline. 

I did this by cutting down several plaster bead profiles a few days ago, ready for the remaining work. I have to say, you learn as you go along and each time you bend the trim bead into shape, it gets easier and more accurate. So, the more you do, the better you get. I guess that's life!

Anyway, so here's the overall progress yesterday. The top front edge of the bonnet comes to a blunt point, like the old bonnet, but obviously longer. Then it continues down to the meet the crease on the bumper, which again has met gently into a curved point.

The shape of the lowest bonnet edge and plastic bumper will look better after the next stage, as the beading is very thin and won't hold the shape I want. With some assistance from the next stage, it should look better and the bumper is not screwed and held securely in the photo. (Holy sh1t Batman, it sounds like I know what I'm doing when in reality I'm making it up as I go along.) I've always trusted my instincts and this is no exception. But, it could yet turn out to be a last minute bodge job, Blue Peter style, if my plans don't work as I hope they will.

Now that I've written that, half of the young embryos now on this site are thinking 'What's Blue Peter'  :wacko:  Don't you worry boys and girls, I'm old!

FATHER%20TED%209_zpsr9yeulvj.jpg

Fitting the plaster beads in place proved relatively easy. I used a combination of a glue gun, which I've always found crap, but that's why it worked out well here. I'll explain. The glue from the glue gun is adequate enough to hold the beads in place along the sides of the headlight as double-sided tape could not be used as the angle I needed for the trims could not be achieved except by use of the glue. But, because the glue rubbish, I can remove the trims easily without leaving any residue or glue on the headlight itself or from the bodywork.

FATHER%20TED%206_zpsvijgb1d1.jpg

FATHER%20TED%205_zpsxcaqjutr.jpg

FATHER%20TED%204_zpsm6bdobmy.jpg

FATHER%20TED%203_zpsqvjexxpx.jpg

FATHER%20TED%202_zpszvc3qpwd.jpg

FATHER%20TED%201_zpsd85pcoli.jpg

I did, however, use double sided tape on the top of the headlight trim. I put down masking tape first, then double-sided tape onto the masking tape. It sort of worked out, but unfortunately, the trim and double-sided tape lifted up the masking tape. So, I will have to remove the top trim and fit the double-sided tape directly onto the headlight, which I know will work, but will mean more effort to remove afterwards.

FATHER%20TED%208_zpsnnc8nznj.jpg

FATHER%20TED%207_zpspdlaty4z.jpg

By the way, the scrim tape works really well. It's a great product when used for this sort of work. If you want to attempt any fibreglass grafting work, get some, you won't regret it!  thumbsup

Also, in my side scoop thread, I've written about how to cut the plaster beads safely and securely. Again, if you're about to attempt work like this, it's worth a read. Sorry, I don't want people to hurt themselves as I know that it can be dangerous!  :o

When completed, my VX will be approx 100mm wider and 280mm longer once all the intended work (what I currently have planned) is finished. :blink:  So, it will look very different ;)

The colour scheme Joe is still looking like it's going to be Battleship grey with lashings of viper green :thefinger:

#148 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:59 AM

I also have to start seriously considering whether to make the front clam in two parts, ie front bumper section and main section or just do it in one piece? My head says two. I know I'm likely to damage the front loading on my trailer or potentially on track. and removing it as a one piece would mean a two-person job as well as it being tricky around the headlights, which I want to look Audi precision fit and finish and not lotus's idea of quality control.  

I'm currently considering the main top clam section. I'll post my thoughts once my cunning plan, is a bit more cunning. :D

#149 Crazyfrog (Fab)

Crazyfrog (Fab)

Iceman

• 22,801 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:04 AM

FATHER%20TED%209_zpsr9yeulvj.jpg

starting to look good ,we will see if the look is as good as tracking max  :rolleyes: 

#150 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:30 AM

Fab, thanks!

S/Wheel is being collected today, finally!

I’m not sure if I’ll get anything done today. Underfloor heating screed has just arrived on two lorries. About to start pumping soon. If all goes well I may get home this afternoon to crack on.

#151 ChrisS1

ChrisS1

Club OEM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:34 AM

A lot of time, effort and thought going into this.

Well done Max thumbsup

#152 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:25 AM

You must be pretty scared taking that clam on and off?! Must be zero support left :blink:

#153 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

can you add some dive planes just where the black line is below the lights?

#154 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

Guys,

I’ve come up with a plan SO CUNNING, that there isn’t a word or a phrase in the English language that can possibly describe Just how devilishly cunning it is!!!!

The closest I’ve found in all the languages from around the world is this...

“Мои орехи волосатые и особенно большие”

I’ll post later....

#155 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:21 PM

Is it...

So cunning that not even a cunning man wearing a dress could cun such a cunning plan...

#156 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:35 PM

Is it...

So cunning that not even a cunning man wearing a dress could cun such a cunning plan...

J, have you slipped into a frock again?

#157 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:37 PM

Yes, I’m wearing the one you bought me.

It’s cold by the way..

#158 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:38 PM

As cunning as a fox who’s just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?

#159 MAXR

MAXR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:51 PM

...its a general translation into Russian!

#160 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

“Мои орехи волосатые и особенно большие”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users