Loud Brake Squeal >10Mph

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:26 PM

Hi all, I've picked up a new (to me) VX220 and I've discovered today the brakes squeals like a bitch under 10mph when I brake slowly.  Sharp braking don't do the squealing (as far as I'm aware).  Put it this way - I'm profoundly deaf, and I can't hear a jet engine even when standing next to one with hearing aids rated at 140dB amplification.  But I can feel the squeal coming through the seat and steering wheel.  It's that bad.  At one point, when I braked, someone else did an emergency stop thinking it was a horn or something.

Looking at the sale advert, it says it has new Mintex 1144 pads, but nothing about discs, I presume it's on factory discs.  How should I fix the squealing?  I'm fairly handy with a spanner, I replaced 4 discs & pads on my Mondeo a few months back - which doesn't squeal as far as I'm aware!  I know it's a Vauxhall and noise is to be expected, but I tend not to like drawing attention to myself for producing a noise louder than my horn.

Advice greatly appreciated!

#2 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:46 PM

Hey mate. It can be a myriad of things, but considering the vx I would look at these things first :
- is there still enough meat on those pads ?(inside and outside)
-how old do the discs look like they are? Are they warped?
- is there still some copper grease or anti-squeal paste/shim on the back of the pads?

I have a similar problem that was amplified by a warped disc. You can find anti-squeal creams and rubber pads on Elise parts, I am meaning to test them someday too, so if you get some I will be interested in their effectiveness!

Cheers

#3 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

In my opinion, it is the 1144 pads at the root of the noise.  Mine used to make a noise that wasn't a squeal, but sounded more like the QE2 docking; was a deeper almost ship horn noise.  Only did it at low speeds and/or in reverse.  I used copper grease and also anti-rattle buffers in the calipers.  Since fitting different pads (Carbon Loraine CL5+ in my case) the brakes occassionally squeal a little but nothing like the 1144s.  (For reference... OEM 1 year followed by 1144s for about 2 years and CL5+ for about 5 years).

You suggest it's coming from the front, which could be sticky piston, pads worn on inside etc., as somebody said above.

#4 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:13 PM

Thread cleaned up.

#5 CocoPops

CocoPops

SuperCharged Karting Super Hero

• 17,177 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:16 PM

To a certain extent they all do it, some more than others depending on pad material.

If the pads are new, then I’d put a few miles on it, some heavy sustained braking should bed then in nicely.

Even my new Elise squealed at slow speeds with soft braking.

#6 Deaconp

Deaconp

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:49 PM

My 1144s did the same. Someone on here said the noise is like a whale in pain in the boot! Copper grease sorted it out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:07 PM

My 1144 never squealed but did sound like I had sand paper not brake pads at low speed. They were not noisy though.
As mentioned above remove and check the pads and discs. If ok clean everything and use some good quality brake pad grease on the backs of the pads and sliding surfaces 👍

Edited by oakmere, 11 December 2018 - 08:07 PM.

#8 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:08 AM

My 1144's squealed like that until i started driving on track, after that they squeal slightly on soft braking only.

I suggest some laps of Clifton Down in the dead of night.

#9 Horace

Horace

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, my 1144s honked.  Changed to 1155s and fitted anti-rattle rubber pads from eliseparts.  Been fine since.

#10 Talk-torque

Talk-torque

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:43 PM

Light use only can make any pads squeak. If they’re not too glazed, you may cure them with a few heavy stops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users