• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RossD

RossD

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

Hello all!

I'll come clean - I'm not currently a VX220 owner, but seriously looking at a purchase at some point during 2019.

I currently have a 180bhp Peugeot 205 as a weekend fun car, but I'm looking to make the move to a more serious sportscar, equally lightweight, but RWD and I looking around it seems like a VX220 would fit the requirements!

Based on the conversations I've had with some existing VX220 and Exige owners, I'm going to be looking for a nice clean low mileage 2.2 n/a, with a view to a supercharger conversion in the short term. I'm keen to 'get to know' how a proper RWD car handles before taking the plunge with a SC conversion, but I just feel coming from a 820kg 180bhp hot hatch to something of similar weight with 145bhp might just feel a little less exciting. I'm pretty handy with the spanners (Having done engine conversions etc in the past) so not afraid of getting stuck in!

Do the likes of Jon Seal (Jonnyboy on here?) still offer the driver in drive out conversions? Can you still get all the parts new (i.e supercharger etc) for the conversion? Or are 'new' conversions having to make do with second hand parts etc?

Anyway - good to be on here and hope to be able to report I've bought a VX220 soon!

Cheers

Ross

#2 dstarz7

dstarz7

• Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Plastic cars

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:07 PM

Hi Ross, Batman & Vocky on here are well known for doing supercharger conversions so might be worth a shout to ask them. 

Courtenay Sport up here in Norfolk also offer the same. 

#3 RossD

RossD

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:38 PM

Hi Ross, Batman & Vocky on here are well known for doing supercharger conversions so might be worth a shout to ask them. 

Courtenay Sport up here in Norfolk also offer the same. 

Good to know, cheers - If the likes of Courtenay Sport still offer this as a service, it would suggest parts etc are still available which is great.

#4 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

You have pm :)

#5 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:23 PM

We no longer do the conversions and many of the parts are either no lonver available new or have increased vastly in price so Courtenay will be more expensive than they used to be.

The Batman will look after you. I have an absolutely ideal base car in check the pistonheads listings i have a tidy black na at 9k

#6 RossD

RossD

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 07:56 PM

Thanks Jon - Disappointing to hear, but have been looking at your website. The orange one you in looks great, but a little out of reach at the moment.

#7 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:42 PM

If you've done an engine conversion before then S/Cing an NA will be a sinch for you.

#8 RossD

RossD

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:13 AM

Well progress with a VX220 went a little faster than planned, with this now sitting on my drive:

20190302-094950.jpg

Its been owned by various forum members in the past (I bought it from AdamVX220) and was originally red. 

Plans for this car include sorting all those niggly little jobs you get on a car of this age, to essentially make it mint. Its already got a SC conversion so thats a tick off the list, but may look to convert it to the Dutch software in future, simply because I like to tinker and am used to using aftermarket ECU's.

#9 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:26 AM

Nice car that one

#10 RossD

RossD

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:07 AM

It is!

Quick rundown on the car.

43k miles

2.2 SC (Converted last year by previous owner) running an MMG remap (I think!)

TD 1.2s with Nangkan NS2R

Spitfire rear toelinks

Resprayed Lotus chrome orange in 2017(?)

CL RC5+ pads on new looking discs

Gaz suspension (Not 100% sure which ones)

MMG rear diffuser

Front splitter

Probably loads of little bits missed so far.

Lots of little jobs need doing, consistent with a 16 year old car. Trim parts need reattaching, airbag light on (wiring on pretensioners was dodgy, now fixed but light still on), but its a good, solid base car.

#11 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

Needs our aero kit on it to finish it ;)

#12 adamvx220

adamvx220

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:13 PM

enjoy it mate and just to note
it was resprayed 2018
ggp2 coilovers

got yourself a cracking car there thanks ad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users