6 replies to this topic

#1 Nelpo

Nelpo

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Impractical cars, scale modelling, rc planes

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

Hi everyone,

The last couple of days, I have been having a problem with the VX. When reversing, after rolling back a foot or so it feels like the brakes are binding on, and they bind on hard, sometimes to the point where I can't really reverse at all. On the times when it isn't so bad, if I pull the handbrake up after reversing into a spot it is very tight and doesn't move very far (maybe one click when normally it is 3 or 4).

I fitted new toe links from Elise Shop two weeks ago, this involves taking off and refitting calipers, discs, handbrake cable, pads etc.

I have used the search functions and seen people complaining of binding brakes, but not with these exact symptoms (ie I have no problems going forward, but in reverse it binds on very hard). Usually they fit a new secondary handbrake cable and all is well. Just wondering if people would advise this as my first option or if there is something else worth checking (perhaps I have refitted the calipers incorrectly?). Tonight I will jack the car up and spin wheels by hand to see if that highlights anything.

#2 christhegasman

christhegasman

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,316 posts
  • Interests:cars
    motorsport especially BTCC
    rugby
    eating out
    keeping fit

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

I would release the handbrake cable from the calliper and see if that cures it could you have put anything back wrong ?
If not then it could be the calliper but which side ? Unlikely to be both can’t figure how the handbrake applies itself only in reverse maybe check the auto adjuster ? Did you fit new pads while it was in bits

Edited by christhegasman, 17 April 2019 - 08:24 AM.

#3 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:26 AM

You can easily disconnect the primary from secondary cables to rule that out but doesn't sound like handbrake related.  Either sticky piston or sticky sliders would be my guess... Remove the caliper again.  Check that the piston retracts and that the slider mechanism is smooth.

#4 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

why don't you reverse the car outside your house (or a flat surface - car park, etc), let the brakes lock up, switch the engine off, leave it in gear and don't apply the handbrake, then jack up each side and see which wheel does not turn.

#5 JohnR

JohnR

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:20 PM

I had something similar except it was the other way around, the brake would bind when I went forward.

One of the caliper bolts had sheared which allowed the caliper to rotate and pull the handbrake on. When I went in the other direction the caliper went back the other way and released the handbrake.

Might be worth checking?

#6 Captain Vimes

Captain Vimes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, VX220, Procrastination

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:22 PM

As above. Check the calliper bolts!

#7 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:28 AM

Im finding a lot of issues lately with the handbrake not retracting obviously this will give the issue in both directions. Usually just the mechanism needing a clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users