Install Garw Ic8 Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:23 PM

Hi all, I got a Garw IC8 and am having issues installing it. I got the original instrument panel out of the housing, but I can't get the Garw in because 2 bolts on the back of the new unit hits the Swiss cheese panel. Advice on getting it mounted would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 scw02102

scw02102

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:43 AM

Did you get this fitted in the end?

#3 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:48 AM

Yes, would be good to know how /if you did this, I have an IC8 to fit soon.

#4 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:57 PM

Yes, got it fitted.  I had to remove the two protruding bolts at the back, drill new holes in the Swiss cheese plate for the mounting holes of the IC8.  As you can't fully insert the IC8 in the binnacle, it sticks out at the bottom, and the bottom two mounting holes has nothing to secure bolts against, so I left those two free.  Otherwise, it all goes back together perfect without any further modifications.  Please note, that there will be a gap between the IC8 and the binnacle on the top and both sides.  This picture shows the gap.  It's not really noticeable when it's fully installed, especially when it's on.  The upper steering column shroud covers a little of the IC8 at the bottom, so to fully see the bottom part, the shroud need to be pushed down slightly.  It'd be awesome if we could get a new binnacle 3D printed to mount the IC8 properly.

So far, while I do like the IC8, I'm slightly underwhelmed about it.  I do need to play with and configure my IC8 properly first before deciding whether I love it or not.  The gauges are awesome, works smoothly without any lag or jerking, but need some improvement to make them easier to read when glancing down, for example on one screen, there's a red needle for an "analogue" tachometer, but it's a bit thin to see easily when glancing down quickly.  On this screen, it's a bit hard to see the RPM reading as the background and the foreground has low contrast.  A little work would make a huge improvement on those screens.  Personally, I prefer this screen but I don't fancy the dragon glowing when the RPM is high - I can see why some people would like this, but it'd be nice to be able to turn this off.  Thermometer is stuck at the previous reading when the engine was turned off, until the thermometer is warm enough to display a reading.  Be nice to follow the original STACK display that hid the temperature until it was warm enough.

The upside is that it works better than I expected, the Android app works and there are oodles of data to configure.  I do hope it's active work in progress.  It's definitely the smoothest display I've seen.

Good luck all, and have fun with yours!

#5 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

Update: my initial opinion of the Garw was faulty - it's fcuking awesome, especially on track!

#6 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

Update: my initial opinion of the Garw was faulty - it's fcuking awesome, especially on track!

Ok, so what's changed your mind? I have only plugged mine in to test run it so far, so have no idea what to expect! 

#7 Mobile Chicane

Mobile Chicane

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

It's still rough around the edges, some work would massive improve it, sure, but it's awesome on the track as when I hit 6000rpm, there's a huge red glow (the aforementioned dragon) - while the image isn't ideal, it's really easy to see in your peripheral vision so you don't need to look down at all to see the engine rpm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users