Bb Conversion Now Very Soft Pedal

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 NOSBandit

NOSBandit

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

Just took it out it out for a test, loads better. Very little pedal travel in comparison and definitely feels firmer. Still attempts to lock the wheels with very little effort but conditions were not the best, it was a very wet road.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#62 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:05 PM

Result!

Did you need to modify anything on the internal pushrod between servo and master cylinder?

#63 NOSBandit

NOSBandit

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

Yes, I removed the push rod from the servo and had to make it longer. It's roughly 10mm too short.
On the actual master cylinder the lip needed machining off so it fits flush to the servo and new holes drilling, I think it was about 60mm hole centres.

#64 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:02 PM

Yes, I removed the push rod from the servo and had to make it longer. It's roughly 10mm to short.
On the actual master cylinder the lip needed machining off so it fits flush to the servo and new holes drilling, I think it was about 60mm hole centres.

Great news, thanks for letting me know.

How much machining did you need to do on the Cayenne MC?  I assume I'll need to find someone with a metal lathe to do this?

In terms of modifying the push rod, did you just replace this with a like for like but longer?  

#65 NOSBandit

NOSBandit

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

Yes, I removed the push rod from the servo and had to make it longer. It's roughly 10mm to short.

Great news, thanks for letting me know.

How much machining did you need to do on the Cayenne MC?  I assume I'll need to find someone with a metal lathe to do this?

In terms of modifying the push rod, did you just replace this with a like for like but longer?  

Very little machining required, took me about 5 minutes on the lathe. It is only to remove the step where it slides into the servo.

I removed the push rod, cut it in half and welded a piece into it to get the correct length.

#66 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:57 PM

Update: This is actually a really simple mod, although sounds scary!  The Cayenne MC is at the machine shop this week to have the flange taken off so it will locate fully into the servo as NOSBandit mentioned.

Trying to remove the push rod from the pedal and I can't get the cnuting split pin out.  Anyone got any tips.  Space is so tight I feel like Mr Tickle under there :lol:

#67 NOSBandit

NOSBandit

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:44 PM

Update: This is actually a really simple mod, although sounds scary!  The Cayenne MC is at the machine shop this week to have the flange taken off so it will locate fully into the servo as NOSBandit mentioned.

Trying to remove the push rod from the pedal and I can't get the cnuting split pin out.  Anyone got any tips.  Space is so tight I feel like Mr Tickle under there :lol:

Unfortunately you won't get the split pin out, that would make it too easy!! If you push it to one side the tabs will bend outward allowing you to remove it. When you reinstall, the tabs easily bend back to hold it in position.

If you are struggling to get hold of the push rod, you can slide a 7mm deep socket over the end to make manoeuvring it easier.

#68 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:18 AM

Unfortunately you won't get the split pin out, that would make it too easy!! If you push it to one side the tabs will bend outward allowing you to remove it. When you reinstall, the tabs easily bend back to hold it in position.

If you are struggling to get hold of the push rod, you can slide a 7mm deep socket over the end to make manoeuvring it easier.

Thanks mate,  managed it in the end with a bit of BF&I, now have the extension completed.  Just waiting the machining to be finished and then it'll be ready to bleed!

Thanks for all the help

VXed

#69 NOSBandit

NOSBandit

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:42 PM

Thanks mate,  managed it in the end with a bit of BF&I, now have the extension completed.  Just waiting the machining to be finished and then it'll be ready to bleed!

Thanks for all the help

VXed

No Problem, thanks for having the idea of using the cayenne master cylinder.

#70 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:42 AM

Update: have now had the machining of the master cylinder done by a great little company near Basingstoke called Andy Robinson Race Cars (http://www.robinson-race-cars.co/).  Honestly cannot rate them enough (also their workshops is :wub:

Master cylinder is installed, and feels 1000x better than before, with much more feel and resistance in the pedal.  If anyone is thinking of doing the BB conversion, this is a great, cheap and easy addition to the conversion and makes a massive difference to the feel of the brakes once done. 

Mods here are;

- 36/40mm BP big brake kit

- Original AP 2 pots moved to rear with adapter bracket and spot caliper for the handbrake

- Porsche Cayenne Master Cylinder (27mm diameter, the one I have is from a 2006 Turbo S, but any from this era should fit fine), machined lip and new holes (I have the instructions for a machinist to work to for this if anyone else is thinking of this mod)

- Small extension to the pushrod in the servo as the cup on the Cayenne MC is slightly deeper (approx 8mm)

Looking forward to the first track outing, hoping for Brands GP on 01/08, so will update with findings after this.

Thanks to NOSBandit for the help and directions and to everyone else who has helped on this little project with information and guidance.  

:grouphug:

VXed

#71 NOSBandit

NOSBandit

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:10 PM

No problem, glad I could help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users