Vx220 Brake System

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fredrik andersson

Fredrik andersson

• 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:21 PM

Hello!

2001 speedster 2.2 - i recently had a small crash (only front clam damage). I was diving in 80 kn/h and the car ahead suddenly slammed the brakes, so i did to just to realize i only had about 50% of the brake power, i realesed and slammed the brakes again with no results, i hit the car infront at like 15 km/h. the car is now in a workshop getting the repairs done and the insurence covers it all but im still stuck with the brake problem. ive read myself to know that the problem could be the original 2 channel abs system that went into whats called ''ice mode'' or that the master brake cylinder has broken somehow.

question 1: any thoughs/exepriences of what coould have went wrong and coused the brakes to not work properly?

question 2: experiences/recommendations on removing the original abs system or uppgrading to a 4 channel abs system?

question 3: upgrading to a 4 pot front brake kit, is it worth it? link to the kit you recommend!

#2 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

I suffered 'ice mode' in my vx220, so replaced the ABS controller with a 4 channel Lotus version. It's been fine ever since.

4 pots normally have a bigger brake pad surface area so they can reduce the heat build up, thus you don't get brake fade as quickly as the 2 pots

However the vx220 / speedster brake servo vacuum hose does perish over time and this can also cause poor braking.

#3 Bargi

Bargi

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:34 PM

Sounds like you may have fallen foul of DRP kicking in, although generally just seen on Track, but def sounds like it

Link here

#4 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

IMO there isn't a need to change to the bigger calipers for a normal road and a bit of track. It's a nice to have but a lot of the problems seem to come from old fluid and lack of general maintenance.  

With regards to the ABS, some people turn it off by disconnecting the front sensor. Some people disconnect all but the rear left. Some people upgrade to the four channel. Just depends on budget I suppose. 

Edited by sford, 14 May 2019 - 04:30 PM.

#5 piwo

piwo

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:14 AM

Lotus ABS is big thing and eliminates ice mode. It is very good on track and road. Bigger calipers and brake disc is unnecessary. What's You need is less front power braking and bigger rear power. You can do IT with brake pads which Has better coefficient of friction on rear.

Edited by piwo, 18 May 2019 - 06:16 AM.

#6 Fredrik andersson

Fredrik andersson

• 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:26 PM

i took the safe route and orderd a 4 channel ABS ecu from a guy named Paul, i will update about the improvements!

#7 900fc

900fc

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:36 PM

Fredrick,

Once tested and if you like it, I would be interested to get the contact and price where you bought your 4 channels ABS module.

Thanks,

Cedric

Edited by 900fc, 25 May 2019 - 04:37 PM.

#8 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:33 PM

I run my 4 channel ABS on track and it works perfect.

,Per

#9 hughcam

hughcam

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:driving, motorcycling, snowboarding, v12 lawn mowers

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

Just a comment from my perspective - You still get irritating abs intevention on track with the Lotus ABS unit if you're pushing hard. Also the 4 pot Lotus big brake kit is a complete waste of money unless you address the rear calipers - the brake bias is far to forward prior to fitting 4 pistons front calipers!

#10 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:19 PM

Just a comment from my perspective - You still get irritating abs intevention on track with the Lotus ABS unit if you're pushing hard. 

I dont

In 1.5 weeks I will test again on a track which is more brake demanding.

But I tested on this track last year, but this year I will push harder.

But since my 4 channel ABS installation I had no issues.

#11 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:38 PM

Just a comment from my perspective - You still get irritating abs intevention on track with the Lotus ABS unit if you're pushing hard. Also the 4 pot Lotus big brake kit is a complete waste of money unless you address the rear calipers - the brake bias is far to forward prior to fitting 4 pistons front calipers!

:yeahthat:   It's not that it creates issues, but when pushed hard you feel that it is "doing something" and that I don't like. Switched off things get much better on track. (only front sensor, the rear is necessary for the rear proportioning function)

And indeed the rear needs a bit more bite on track, so I use slightky more agresssive pads there. ;)

#12 Firthy

Firthy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:07 PM

:yeahthat:   It's not that it creates issues, but when pushed hard you feel that it is "doing something" and that I don't like. Switched off things get much better on track. (only front sensor, the rear is necessary for the rear proportioning function)

And indeed the rear needs a bit more bite on track, so I use slightky more agresssive pads there. ;)

When your pushing hard in the wet on a track day where you want to drive home, having recently moved to the 4 channel I wouldn't be without its bloody incredible.

I have no issues with it in the dry either you just need to learn how to manage the modulation.

Since going SC where the cars a lot faster in a straight line I find the 4 channel a lot more valuable!

Edited by Firthy, 05 July 2019 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users