• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:52 PM

I have an Emco Compact 5 milling machine that I use for the odd job here and there. I quite enjoy over complicating things by making up my own specific tools/parts and am looking to expand it's function.

I was given it by my uncle and it only has a 3 jaw chuck on it with a chuck key size I don't have. I've been using a different chuck key to tighten but it isn't cutting it when machining accurately as I can't get a very good grip on the bits and they tend to travel. There is an accessory available that allows you to fit a m14 threaded collet chuck/holder. This is unobtanium as far as I can see. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use instead that isn't going to break the bank? Or could make up an M14 threaded collet holder that I could fit to it? 

https://www.emcomach...&product_id=424

Or any idea on the chuck key that may fit? All the ones I have tried have been no good (don't fit as it's a weird size) or when I have modified them, have fallen to bits as they are made of cheese. 

#2 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:26 PM

What taper is in the quill? I would suggest getting a collet chuck with your specific taper.
Something like this:
https://www.warco.co...huck&results=47
Hope that helps

#3 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

I just googled it! There's no taper apparently, just the threaded nub for mounting. Do you have dims for the collet holder?

Edited by FLD, 15 May 2019 - 02:39 PM.

#4 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:24 PM

Nothing specific.

I know the mounting nub is an M14 thread. Not sure on depth. The collet holder is an ESX25 type holder so needs to fit ESX25 collets but I don't know the size of them. I was hoping that any off the shelf collet holder may work with a large enough shank to machine an M14 female thread into. I'll do some more digging at home tonight. 

#5 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:03 AM

If you can find some info on the collet sizes that'd be useful. I could turn you a collet holder from that. Those collets are freakin' dear though. Might be worth seeing if an ER type collet is viable as these are much cheaper and more readily available.

#6 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

https://www.rcm-mach...hread/rcm14er16

Something like this? Takes ER collets, has a female M14 thread. 

#7 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:57 AM

I've no reason to be tied to a certain collet type. The defining thing is the M14 thread on the bottom of the mill to attach a collet holder to. Then the milling bits that I have go from about 4mm up to 10mm so any collet that will take that size. In fact, the more readily available the better. 

A lathe is the next toy but I want to spend as little as possible. Space is also a bit of a premium so looking for a nice Emco to go with what I have.

Edited by sford, 16 May 2019 - 10:01 AM.

#8 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

That option looks good if you have a 14x1 thread. Worth checking as I think M14 is 1.5mm pitch.

There's LOADS of mini lathes around but be aware that they are very limited. Machining steel would really push them.

#9 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:32 AM

I'm 99% sure its M14x1 thread. 

Is there anywhere you use for supplies at all? Or is ebay a good bet? Thanks for the offer of turning up a holder by the way. 

#10 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:34 AM

So would something like this work, providing there is enough meat on the threaded part to drill out and tap to M14x1?

https://www.ebay.co....&frcectupt=true

#11 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

If there's enough material that'd be ace. It does look a little thin though.

I use the following places for parts, RDG tooling, Warco, banggood (can be poor quality), alibaba (can be pricey on postage), amazon, ebay. If I think of any others I'll let you know.

#12 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:03 PM

So I'm thinking this as it has the largest outer diameter I have seen so far at 22mm. If I ordered one of these could I send it to you to bore the inside out to fit an M14x1 thread? Obviously will send you some beer tokens! 

First got to see if I can get the drill chuck head off though. 

#13 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:32 AM

Sure, no beer tokens required. Another option I thought of would be to make an adaptor, M14 female thread to whatever is in the chuck. The downside of this is that you introduce another link which can introduce deflection issues or misalignment. I had a look and there's M14 x1 x1.25 x1.5 It'd be worth getting a bolt that's the same as your chuck. I'd like to get a nice tight fit to the chuck thread so its secure and straight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users