Broken Relay - Socket

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisO_VX

ChrisO_VX

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:53 PM

I cant be the only person this has happened to?  Although a similar thing happened to my old Turbo where a piece of spark had perished and broke and fell into the cylinder, killing the engine (and turbo)

Anyway - the broken piece is stuck in the socket.  Cant tweezer or pick it out. 

Any ideas?  MOT is due tomorrow and it's the horn relay!

Attached File  VX_Relay.jpg   109.4KB   7 downloads

#2 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

remove the terminal from the relay base, just use a small screwdriver to push the retaining tab, once the terminal is out it will be easy to remove the broken piece

#3 ChrisO_VX

ChrisO_VX

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:45 PM

remove the terminal from the relay base, just use a small screwdriver to push the retaining tab, once the terminal is out it will be easy to remove the broken piece

Done.  I've just pushed a load of green dust out of there...

Are the wires just attached to spades and slotted into the bottom of the housing?  The wire in question has come off (the end piece is all green and rotten!) and because I cant see the underside I'm not sure how to reattach it?

#4 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

The wires are just crimped to the terminals (usually called 'flags' when the lock into housings like this). I replaced a few on mine. Available from vehicle wiring products. With the time pressure you could just use regular terminals to get through the MOT and then sort it.

#5 ChrisO_VX

ChrisO_VX

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:42 PM

The wires are just crimped to the terminals (usually called 'flags' when the lock into housings like this). I replaced a few on mine. Available from vehicle wiring products. With the time pressure you could just use regular terminals to get through the MOT and then sort it.

Cheers.

I'll give it a bash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users