Light Cover Sealant

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Benz

Benz

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

After getting going with the Karcher yesterday, I not water in one of the front and one of the rear lights - much misting...

So, what products to the VX220 community use to reseal?

I'm thinking Tigerseal with some soft jaw clamp action..

Thanks in advance.

#2 FLD

FLD

Batmans mum says 'I like things in my bum'

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:34 AM

There are multiple options with varying degrees of success.  Some have used the non-setting butyl tape from elise parts which is sold for this exact purpose.  I've heard mixed stories on the success from this with movement of the lenses.  The next option is a belt and braces variant on the above; you seal with the tape and then tigerseal around the joint as a double measure.  I've not heard how good this is but I imagine it's fairly successful.  The other option is to use tigerseal; there are mixed results with this too.  I've heard of lenses falling off which I imagine is due to the glue skinning over before assembly.  I did mine with tigerseal and I used windscreen primer on the joints prior to assembly and they've been solid for 10+ years.  Some have clamped the lens with tigerseal in place and reported cracking of the lens.  I imagine this is stress related in the lens plastic due to removal of the clamp.  I didn't clamp mine and its all good.  It might be worth a PM to Fezz as he's reproducing lights.  I imagine he has a robust method in place.

#3 Benz

Benz

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

Thanks. 

I actually just ordered some Sikaflex 221...my lenses are generally fully attached apart from a little bit at the top of the front and a slightly longer bit at bottom of the real.  Think a little application of Sikaflex and I'll be ok - fingers crossed.

I can see the tape working following full removal of the lenses from the lamp unit, but think sealant will - hopefully - work just fine my my instance.

#4 gazbucko

gazbucko

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

I used tiger seal on my lense replacements, no clamps just masking tape to hold in position. butyl tape is designed to be under compression at all times. not had an issue with mine

#5 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:42 PM

Another vote for stikaflex. Rather than a savage clamping method as some do, I used clothes pegs in 6 areas.

Wife wasn't happy when she saw me using them though, Ha ha.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

#6 oakmere

oakmere

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:25 PM

My rear lenses have micro cracks after using Tigerseal. I did clamp but nothing excessive?

#7 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:25 PM

Micro crack can occur in the clear lenses due to a solvent.

(Don't remember the exact name, but I know you should not clean perspex with alcohol as the same micro crack can occur...)

https://www.instruct...hol-Methyl-Eth/

Edited by Exmantaa, 11 June 2019 - 08:27 PM.

#8 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• 3,955 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

I had a rear lens fly off last year - I had previously removed both to 'turbo' them, and resealed using the butyl tape. Perhaps I didn't properly clean down the join after removing (awkward, time-consuming job), or that fact that the weather was very hot, which made the tape sticky, but I'd want a stronger method of fixation ideally.

The butyl is probably totally fine for front lenses (under compression, unless you plan on doing lots of J-turns..), but the rears are the opposite.. Note that the Lotus cars don't have large rear lenses like the VX, so its probably not an issue for them.

Perhaps the tape then a few beads of Tigerseal (other brands available) as noted by FLD would be the optimal approach.

#9 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

I painted my rears and re-sealed with butyl about 18months ago..i have 42 degree ambient temps here in Oz and mine have remained firmly attached. Maybe cleanliness wasn't up to scratch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users