Photo

Best Place To Advertise Vx For Sale

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Z Ombie

Mr Z Ombie

• Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:World Endurance racing, Le Mans, modding cars, cycling, cider, airbrushing.

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:45 PM

Hi all,

Need to release some funds for a variety of reason so the vx is likely to go. Where would be the best place to sell? On here or Ebay or autotrader etc.

Don't want tyre kickers so best place for people who are likely to buy.

Thanks

Andy

#2 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 08:48 PM

If you really want to sell it, stick it up everywhere..

#3 fiveoclock

fiveoclock

Whipping Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:16 AM

I just sold two cars, one a niche car like the VX. As usual I got all the fcuking turds from eBay asking stupid questions and making ridiculous offers. I put them on autotrader and sold both within 5 days, one for the full asking price.

It's more expensive than eBay but I've always had good results on autotrader

Edited by fiveoclock, 03 July 2019 - 06:17 AM.

#4 rob999

rob999

Cat in a Hat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,795 posts
  • Interests:Footy, Tennis, Fire.

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:19 AM

VX owners group on Facebook too?

#5 Mr Z Ombie

Mr Z Ombie

• Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:World Endurance racing, Le Mans, modding cars, cycling, cider, airbrushing.

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:06 AM

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

#6 mbes2

mbes2

Someone say Plasti Dip?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts
  • Interests:"Keep it standard"
    "Yes, I built it"

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:19 AM

Agree as above, auto trader is worth the money.

Ebay has become a complete waste of time with far too many time wasters.

#7 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:45 AM

As above, put it up everywhere as you cannot predict where your buyer will come from. The last few sports cars I sold were:

Celica GT4 (Pistonheads - took 5 weeks to sell)

R33 Skyline (ebay - took 2 weeks)

VX220 (Pistonheads - took 1 week)

350z (ebay - took 1 week)

Also sold the missus Corsa via Gumtree - I find Autotrader doesn't generally create the sort of traffic you want for sports cars (the content is more biased towards family hatchbacks and the like). 

Do produce a great advert though, too many adverts are lazy and create doubt in a potential buyers mind. Talk through why you bought it, why you are selling it, outline the history during your ownership all work etc. Don't make crap up like 'never been tracked' if you are the 6th owner and be careful with how you describe it too many cars are called 'mint' but you arrive and see all the scratches and stone chips immediately, be up front with issues so they are not even a discussion point when buyers come to look. The more detail you put in the less contact you get asking questions. 

If I were you I would try the free ones first, punt out something on Facebook, Motors, Carandclassic and Gumtree. Give it a while see where you get to and then start investing in the paid for ads. 

#8 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

This has been going through my head recently too.  :(

Fnaaarrrr!

#9 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:50 AM

Fnaaarrrr!

FLD for mod!  :lol: :lol:

#10 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

Have sales of 'special' cars slowed? I've seen a few of the 'better end of the market' cars hang around for ages. Are people asking too much, has the market slowed or is it just the ones I've looked at?

JB, you got any insight?

#11 Bigt

Bigt

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:04 PM

Pistonheads for me particularly with something niche like a VX, cant entertain the dreamers that eBay seems to attract. I think of the places I looked when I was looking for mine and in the main the best ones came up on PH and here.

Whenever I have looked for an enthusiast type car I will more often than not go to a forum.

Good luck 

Si

#12 jonnyboy

jonnyboy

The hardtop guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight sportscars, Brunettes, Petrol & Beer.

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:52 AM

Have sales of 'special' cars slowed? I've seen a few of the 'better end of the market' cars hang around for ages. Are people asking too much, has the market slowed or is it just the ones I've looked at?

JB, you got any insight?

This year has been pretty bad on the sales front. Brexit has really knocked the wind ot of the performance and prestige market. I've been flat out since they made the announcement about moving Brexit to October so making the most of it now but I'm expecting a quiet winter. Vx220s have always been a bit niche even in times when the general market has been strong so it's showing more now it's quieter. I've done a few over the last few weeks now I think we are down to 4 in stock which is the lowest number for about 3.5 years.

#13 dw1

dw1

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

I suspect you will need to be patient when selling yours privately and you also may not get the figure you have in mind, unless you price it keenly. All depends how quickly you want the cash. It looks like mint or very good condition, standard, low mileage VXs go for the best money.
Modified ones are trickier as the audience is much smaller, even though the car might be improved as a result.
At least selling in summer is better than in winter.

I recently part-exd my VX for an Exige (thank you Jonnyboy), as a buyer I only looked on Lotus forums, autotrader and PistonHeads. I ddn’t even loook at eBay or elsewhere.

Good luck with the sale and hope you get a good price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users