exhaust z22se

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:18 PM

Due to having some exhaust wrap and it being cold and dark at night (it was winter) I decided to wrap my downpipe and inlet to the cat. I did not fancy trying to wrap the cast manifold.

To do the job I had to remove the factory heatshield. It was not a pleasant job and the bolt into the manifold was the source of a lot of scraped knuckles and used a lot of penetrating fluid.

At least it comes off in two pieces, so I did not have to remove the clamshell, just accept it was going to scrape the cam cover.

Attached File  SDC15235.JPG   108.03KB   2 downloads

I decided to weigh it as it felt quite chunky compared to some other OEM heatshields, and it was 904g. 

Attached File  SDC15272.JPG   93.78KB   2 downloads

I have plenty of lightweight heatshielding material so I decided to see if I could replicate, or better, it.

The most logical thing to do was to use the same mounting points. To this end I needed to replicate the top mounting plate.

I created a carboard template and then cut out a sheet of aluminium. I originally used a thinner piece but it seemed too flexible and I did not want to hear a tinny rattle from my engine bay.

Attached File  SDC15263.JPG   93.73KB   2 downloads

End of Part 1

Edited by blackoctagon, 17 July 2019 - 09:26 PM.

#2 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

The next step was to form up the heatshield. This was done by placing a sheet over the OEM shield and folding, cutting and bashing it into shape:

Attached Files

#3 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:38 PM

And I've run out of my 500kb limit for pictures in the post, so i'm a bit stuck to get to the wrap part.

The bracket was riveted on to the sheild and a combination of test fits and bashing found the manifold's lower mounting bolt point.  A hole was then drilled for that bolt and a shorter bolt with anti-sieze compound was used.

Although longer than the upper part of the OEM shield it is easy to push down to where the bolt-on lower section would sit and the more flexible material can then be tucked around the manifold and downpipe, and around the left hand side of the manifold to block radiation to the coolant temperature sensor.

The shield has been on since February and ther has been no problems in the recent hot weather.

The coolant temperature on the dashboard remains as normal, so the sensor which is next to the exhaust manifold is not getting any extra radiation.

I still have the template for the shield bracket if it's of use to anyone.

Edited by blackoctagon, 17 July 2019 - 09:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exhaust, z22se

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users