Just renewed the domains again and it made me aware that I bought the upgraded software for this forum software that is fairly ancient years back and have been paying each year for it.
When I went to upgrade the upgrade tool failed as this ones fairly old. Was just wondering if anyone out there knows what they are doing with this particular software and wanted to donate some time to getting the upgrade done?
I only ever used VB with my other sites so it's all new to me this one.
Would be nice to add some video/picture features too at some point and a decent calendar.
Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:27 PM
Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:45 PM
Hi Neil, glad you've not entirely forgotten us.
I did an upgrade from ipBoard 3.something to version 4 a few years ago and it turned out to be a proper ballache. First problem was some undocumented PHP customisation someone had previously done that captured some additional reporting data and saved it, to again, some undocumented db changes in the devils own database of doom (MySQL). Dumping those changes (which had no apparent use anyway) and repairing the database helped get the update to get a little further but I kept running into PHP versioning issues with incompatible libraries and modules as PHP had been custom compiled from source in the first place and hadn't been updated for a long time.
In the end it proved easier to install an early version of the 4.x on a fresh VM with all of required Invision OS/server stack installed on there and run the migration from one server across to the other before doing in-place updates to bring the software up to whatever was the current version at the time.
I did actually manage to get the update to run on the original server in the end just for satisfaction but by that time it was stale and the new VM was better in every way anyway. Never managed to get the custom CSS stuff to work properly though but it's safe to say I'm no HTML developer so palmed that off on somebody else.
Happy to give you a hand or have a look, if we can sort out the relevant access. Only problem is I'm pretty much away from the end of this week for the rest of the month so am going to be pushed for spare time. If it can wait until the start of October, I'm in, as the updated features are sorely needed.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users