Cable Craft Gear Cables Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie--101

Eddie--101

• 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:38 PM

Hi all,

I've installed the Elise shop/cable craft gear cables on my VX turbo but they don't seem to want to self centre properly. They select gears perfectly and don't feel stiff, but the gear stick doesn't spring to the middle properly like the OEM ones did. I've tried routing the cables in every way possible but it doesn't change. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Eddie

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

#2 vocky

vocky

• 11,969 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:40 PM

you possibly need to adjust the inner cable to centre the gear lever

#3 Eddie--101

Eddie--101

• 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:52 AM

Hi Vocky,

After seeing your reply I went out to the car to double check the cable adjustment and they're perfect!

I popped the cables off at both ends, the gearbox selector feels normal and the gear stick is very free and smooth. The upper cable is free and smooth but the lower one feels a bit stiff and difficult.

I've checked over the routing and nothing seems to be binding or restricting it anywhere.

I guess I should try contact the manufacturer!

#4 Eddie--101

Eddie--101

• 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:21 AM

Update:

I just removed this brown rubber seal and the cable felt way better, so I fitted it all back up without the seal and it's cured the problem.

The seal feels too tight a fit on the moving part of the cable. The same brown seal on the upper cable feels a much better fit.

Obviously I'd rather have a seal there to stop dust etc getting in, but right now I've got nothing fitted and I'm just pleased the gearshift feels good again!

I'll try and get a new seal from the manufacturer Posted Image

#5 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:36 AM

Would it be worth trying some silicone grease or similar inside the rubber boot to allow the inner to slide better?

#6 Eddie--101

Eddie--101

• 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

I did try some spray grease I had in the garage but it had no effect and the seal just wiped it off. Maybe silicone grease would work better though.

I compared the seal to the other one and you can see it's a smaller diameter, by a tiny amount but just enough to cause some friction

Edited by Eddie--101, 26 September 2019 - 09:46 AM.

#7 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

Just carefully ream 1/4mm out of the inner part of the brown seal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users