Burning Oil Smell When Recirc Valve Flutters

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Steviejay

Steviejay

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

Hey guys I have a stage 2 vx220 turbo go and on hard acceleration it seems when I come off the throttle I get a whiff of burning oil smell happens every time I'm when engine gets warm and it is getting rather exhausting smelling it all the time.

I have changed the breather for a brand new pipe no oil seems to be leaking from there and have also upgraded the oil feed pipe from Courtney to the new one as there was a tiny bit of oil on that.
Everything else looks to be ok ok no oil seems to be leaking from anywhere just this damn smell cruising along normally it is fine but accelerate hard and it was into the cabin really does start to make you feel sick after a while.

Any suggestions?

#2 Steviejay

Steviejay

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

Just to add to my post it it does not occur when idling normally, If get out of the car quickly to try and and figure out where the smell is coming from there is no smell anywhere just a normal hot engine smell which makes it even more frustrating it only seems to happen when I hear the boost sound fluttering off.

Can't understand why it's a burning oil smell but no smoke visible either anywhere!? 

#3 sam220T

sam220T

• Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

Most likely it's due to the fact the oil seals in the turbo are weeping and allowing oil to pass and be burnt.
Hence why you smell it in lift off as oil pressure increases.

#4 James96

James96

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

Mine was doing exactly this, turns out the turbo was leaking.

#5 Steviejay

Steviejay

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:29 PM

James was it leaking in the seals as Sam mentioned? Doesn't appear to have any smoke when booting it, drove in the dark last week with headlights behind me and looked clear, if I do that in my diesel the you can see a smoke haze but the VX looks clean ?
How did you sort yours James?

#6 James96

James96

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:39 PM

Pretty sure it was the seals, had some play in it too. Mine would only smoke a little bit if left on isle for a while. I never noticed any smoke when booting it. Mine was replaced with a vxr turbo.

#7 Steviejay

Steviejay

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:42 PM

Ah ok cool I'll look into this bud

#8 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

If you suspect the turbo, just de-couple the black 2" boost pipe from the turbo compressor outlet and see if the inside of it is covered in oil. If that isn't then take decouple the downpipe from the turbine side of the turbo and check that for oil (it should be a lightish to mid brown colour inside).

If you discover oil deposits on the turbine or compressor side, don't just assume it's the fault of the turbo seals, they might possibly be fine but too much crank case pressure is not allowing the oil to drain from the turbo. Remember the turbo oil drain is purely gravity fed, so if you have even 1 or 2 PSI in your crank case then it will "force" the turbo oil to exit via the seals (even if they are in good order).

HTH.

Edited by Nev, 04 October 2019 - 07:21 PM.

#9 Steviejay

Steviejay

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:52 AM

That is really good advice nev thank you you for taking the time to write that I will get somebody that knows what they're doing to investigate that for me as as first of all I am not really Lee very mechanically minded when it comes to turbochargers and also the lack of room in there with mean I will probably have to start removing parts to get my hands in there are this is where I wish I had somebody like Chris redman local to me who could whip it all out quickly and have a look

#10 Nev

Nev

Nipper's Minion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • Interests:Rock climbing, skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountaineering, budgies, chess, practical mechanics.

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:48 AM

Have replied to you PM.

As you live close to Courtenay Sport, why not give the car to them, as they know these cars inside out.

#11 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:56 AM

I would start with some cans of brake cleaner plus hot soapy water and give the engine a good degrease then you might find the oil leak on to a heat source. Remove undertray and top heat shield for inspection.

#12 Steviejay

Steviejay

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:49 AM

Will do guys want to try and sort this myself first if possible can't be to complex thanks guys appreciate the replies and the time I'll let you know what I find so this may be useful to someone else in the future.
Cheers

#13 Bumblebeeplumb

Bumblebeeplumb

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:33 PM

Did you find out what this was bud ?
Mines doing the same and cant find any oil leaks.....🙁

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users