Rear Caliper Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:36 AM

Hi all, my RR caliper was seized on the handbrake and causing problems so I bought a second hand replacement. When I got it the main seal was ripped so the seller (after my suggestion) paid for a big red seal kit. I unscrewed the piston and replaced the seal and the brake works perfectly.

Now the problem is that the handbrake seems to be disengaged from the piston. If I fiddle with the piston position (by turning) then it will "locate" and the handbrake will work, but then after a little while it disengages again.

Any suggetion on how to remedy?

Thanks.

#2 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:02 AM

The circlip / spring clip inside the caliper holds the tension spring on the handbrake mechanism. If this isn't seated properly you lose the pressure on the spring when the piston extends. When you wind the piston back in you compress the spring and it works again until the piston is out enough to loose pressure on the spring.

It sounds like the circlip / spring clip part hasn't re-seated properly in the caliper on reassembly so the spring that makes the handbrake work isn't compressed enough. Struggling with this one myself. I'm finding it sometimes seats really easily but mostly won't go back.

#3 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

Id hate to give up on the caliper just because of this but its obviously not ideal having a handbrake on one side only.

#4 FLD

FLD

WANNABE MY LOVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts
  • Interests:Tugging my todger.

Posted 28 October 2019 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, I know that feeling. I'm trying to find a reliable way of reassembly but not getting much time on it at the moment. Its a really common problem for those that have dismantled them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users