Light Switch Lights

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chris-vxt

chris-vxt

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:57 PM

Hi, I’ve been trying to get my side, main beam and fog light switches all working correctly.

All now light up with a green bar at the bottom of the switch when on so no problem as far as mot goes...

My question is this. It’s only the side lights that have a dim light behind the symbol on the switch. Is it only this one that’s meant to be lit this way or should all of them have the dim constant light behind the symbol and the bright green bar at the bottom once operated and on?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:56 AM

They should all have a back light in them and a colour bar to show when they're in the on position. IIRC the sidelight and light switches should have back light illumination when you turn the ignition on, the rest should then be back lit when you turn the lights on. Not many are all still working in a lot of cars now, I converted mine to LED for this same reason. 

#3 chris-vxt

chris-vxt

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:36 AM

Perfect!! Thanks!!

When you say converted to LED, is this a whole new panel of switches or a replacement?

It’s one of those where as long as it’ll pass the mot ok not sure how much time I should waste worrying about it! I’d just like it completely back to how it should be :)

Next time you’re in yours, could you take a photo and post if you have a bespoke set up?

Thanks

Chris

#4 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:19 PM

They should all have a back light in them and a colour bar to show when they're in the on position. IIRC the sidelight and light switches should have back light illumination when you turn the ignition on, the rest should then be back lit when you turn the lights on. Not many are all still working in a lot of cars now, I converted mine to LED for this same reason. 

did you do the drilling the hole and soldering etc ??

Did mine what an utter PITA.

#5 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:10 AM

did you do the drilling the hole and soldering etc ??

Did mine what an utter PITA.

Yes, I used the LED conversion kit for the Vectra bought off ebay. Agreed, its a faff when you try to do the first one! Once you have one light switch out of the way the rest are not so bad. 

I fell down a bit with the hazard light switch, sorted in the end but unless yours is not working at all I would leave that one with normal bulbs In it.

Edited by ayresyy, 07 November 2019 - 08:12 AM.

#6 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:21 AM

Perfect!! Thanks!!

When you say converted to LED, is this a whole new panel of switches or a replacement?

It’s one of those where as long as it’ll pass the mot ok not sure how much time I should waste worrying about it! I’d just like it completely back to how it should be :)

Next time you’re in yours, could you take a photo and post if you have a bespoke set up?

Thanks

Chris

Will try and post a pic up over the weekend, but they are just the standard switches, converted to led. The normal bulbs could be replaced if you solder them in if you wanted the OEM look instead.

Edited by ayresyy, 07 November 2019 - 08:23 AM.

#7 chris-vxt

chris-vxt

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

Ok, no need matey! I thought you’d replaced with a new set up. Didn’t realise you could swap the bulbs for led ones!!

I’ve since got myself a few replacements off eBay so should be fine for now but definitely something to bear in mind for the future!

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users