Shims For Piper Cams - Vocky?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:59 PM

Hi all I recently fitted Piper cams to my 2.2 and on the next trackday 3 of the cam followers fell out while on track. Thought Id goosed the engine but no damage done and was able to refit them. Car running fine again.

However Id like to make sure it doesnt happen again, I came across a random comment by Vocky that seemed to be the answer:

Piper cams tend to make the lifters noisy, you should add a 1mm shim under each hydraulic lifter - a suitable steel washer should do the trick

Does anyone have any more info on where these might fit? I have everything apart to do the chains so now is the time to do it.

Cheers

#2 Exmantaa

Exmantaa

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

Sounds like the Piper cams have a too small base circle for our cars. I do know that this shim trick does not work on a Saab B207 head, as the shims will fall out, but maybe on a 2.2 head it does work.

Basically you remove the hydraulic adjusters from the head, drop a suitable hard steel (1mm?) shim in the bore and re-install the hydr. adjusters back in. This will raise the adjusters enough to remove the slack. Just double check if your shims cannot fall out of the adjuster bores, as there is an opening at the bottom... :sleep:

#3 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:08 PM

I guess if the lifters were sticky/faulty it would cause the same problem?

#4 Mat Jackson

Mat Jackson

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:54 PM

Hi Paul - let me know how you get on. These ran ok in mine with no shims, and the rockers were tight even in the base circle...
I would check the tappets / lifters first....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mat Jackson, 08 November 2019 - 07:55 PM.

#5 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:02 AM

Shims in. Will test later, still some buttoning up to do.

I tested the lifters and they all seemed ok. The compressed a couple of mm then sprang back ok.

Edited by paul_mck, 09 November 2019 - 06:03 AM.

#6 TheHood

TheHood

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:World domination, a liking of unconvincing disguises, Malaysian temple restoration and nice words like "flange".

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:54 PM

I seem to remember there were a couple of subtly different cam roller rocker designs - perhaps this could explain why these regrind cams worked OK on one engine and not another?

It also highlights why regrinds can be A Bad Idea.

#7 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:02 PM

Well, if it was me, and with the "clackier" sound that you reported earlier, i would change all the hydraulic tappets .

#8 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:15 PM

By the way, to test hydraulic tappets, you should pump them when immerged in oil and they should feel solid when full.
Then they should still feel solid after being removed from the oil for a certain time...

Edited by 2-20, 09 November 2019 - 09:17 PM.

#9 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM

Well I got the shims fitted etc and the car feels "ok" but it feels a bit off at low revs and a bit of load, almost like a bit of a miss.

Decided Im going to put the std cams back in and call it quits. I have a new plan anyway - a more "forced" plan :) So dont really need the cams.

#10 Paulus H

Paulus H

Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:I really appreciate my car. I have piled on 100,000 miles in 8 years of ownership. I still love every day I get in it

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:32 PM

Mmm, I have had the pipers in for years now. Cams, 2.4 inlet, Tullet etc a really well rounded engine, rips round to 7000. With no pre-cat and 200 cell cat emisions can be a problem, tick over is poor but the engine is for the good times not sitting in traffic.

#11 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:39 PM

I had always planned to fit a charger anyway so bit the bullet yesterday and bought a kit. I have the 2.4 manifold (was a great mod) so will sell it and the pipers on I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users