Vxt Exhaust Manifold Stud Removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ukcat

ukcat

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:59 PM

Can anyone offer any tips on removing manifold studs - Can heat be applied to the area around the stud or is there danger of damaging the head - Thanks in advance

#2 Duncan VXR

Duncan VXR

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with making cars faster and better than the original

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:44 PM

I have always used a decent penetration spray and used stud extractor which works well, just take it easy on them. A lot of the time the stud comes out with the bolt seized to it which is a bonus as replace all of them while the manifold is off as a must

Had a few snap over the years and access a pita but a decent 90deg drill adaptor, decent drill bit and then a quality extractor never let me down and resulted in head off

You can always give the stud a shock also but never went too mad on heat

#3 Madmitch

Madmitch

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:33 PM

Use Plus Gas on the thread so that it covers the seized joint, just a few drops and repeat every day until it all comes apart, normally two or three days.  I have used the stuff for years and it never fails, recent successes have been seized track rods on the VX, seized header tank bolts into aluminium casting on my old Subaru Legacy Turbo and seized alternator bolts on the Micra, twenty five years old this year and never touched in the eighteen years we have had it, probably never touched ever!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users