2 replies to this topic

#1 swast4

swast4

• PipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Trackdays

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:47 PM

Hi,
I've got a VX which I just use on track and get some black residue appearing in my header tank. I'm pretty confident that it's not my head gasket but would like to give the system a good flush out before the season.

I've read a post from someone who has had a similar problem and they ended up flushing by disconnecting the small return pipe into the hdr tank and continuously filling the header tank with water but I can't see this getting all the crap out. I believe in the manual it says to disconnect the return hose by the oil cooler and radiator hose. (I'd rather not take front undertray off off If don't need too)

I've had a good mooch at the car and the easiest & effective thing I can think off is removing the thermostat, disconnecting the outlet of the oil cooler and blanking off the return pipe that leads to the thermostat. Then connect a hose to the hdr tank outlet and flush out engine to rad to oil cooler then to deck. Once this has been flushed with mains water, put hdr tank back in and put a hose pipe in the hdr tank and run the engine. Does this seem reasonable ? Do you think I'll still need to bleed the air out at the radiator ?

I've also got some radiator coolant flush to put through the system.

Adam

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

#2 swast4

swast4

• PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:47 PM

Forgot to attach thisPosted Image

#3 swast4

swast4

• PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:19 AM

So due to my car having some black residue in its cooling system after heavy track use a good flush of the system is required.

So I gave my cooling system a good flush on Saturday.  I got the car upto temp first 87 degrees ish, then I removed my hdr tank and gave it a thorough clean. Removed the black bracket that the hdr tank and charge cooler tank attaches too (just to give me more room).

I also removed 2 x bolts from my rocker cover so that I could pull my water inj top up pipe out of the way. I then put a container under the gearbox (to collect the worst of the antifreeze) and removed the 2 x 10mm bolts that hold thermostat housing on and removed the thermostat and rubber O ring gasket and bolted the housing back on (Without gasket). I then placed the car on 4  axle stands.

I found using a small electric screwdriver with extension bars really useful to undo all these bolts.

I then disconnected the outlet of the oil cooler (which is under the car, just as it leaves the back of the passenger sill) and collected the water.

- I then inserted a hose pipe as far as it would go (4” or so) into the hose that is usually on the hdr tank outlet which is the thermostat inlet and used a jubilee clip to hold tight.

- I blanked off the hose from the oil cooler outlet (other inlet to thermostat, engine side of cooler) I used a cheap hose attachment as it was the right diameter 32-35mm, just pushed in, I didn’t need to clip it.

- I blanked off the small pipe that returns back to the top of the hdr tank (just used a large bolt)

- I then used hot water from the kitchen tap to help dislodge more crap. I collected the worst of the water to dispose of properly and ran  the rest to deck. I had to use a Mikalor clamp on the kitchen tap attachment with no kinks in the hose, for it to stay on.

- I then took the small bolt out of the return to the hdr and flushed.

- I reattached the oil cooler and filled system with hot water until it flowed well out of the small return pipe to the hdr.

- then disconnected the hose pipe, reattach hdr tank and put the cooling water flush in and a dish washer tablet and a bit more hot water.

- I ran the car up and left the cap off the hdr tank to allow the air to purge out, I also had the heater on max, it eventually (as the thermostat is removed, but he hot water will have helped) got upto temp (87 degrees) and then stopped engine.

- I then did as above and disconnected oil cooler hdr tank etc and have a really good flush.

- Then reconnected oil cooler, fill system with it overflowing out of small pipe. I then disconnected hose pipe, stuck screwdriver end down this pipe and bolt in small pipe return to hdr tank, to temporarily seal system (so we don’t lose water when thermostat cover is removed ) and removed thermostat cover and re instated the thermostat (don't forget the flat O ring).

- Reconnect everything and put red antifreeze in the Hdr tank upto half way, I got about 2.7ltrs in which is just under 25%. I ran car up with lid off hdr tank upto 90 degrees with heater on.

It feels like a thorough job, so fingers crossed my black residue is gone, but I will have to see if it returns after heavy track use.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users