Photo

60 Litre Pro Alloy Fuel Tank Vs 48 Litre.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

I'm considering changing my OEM fuel tank.  Despite a number of searches I can't find what the extra difficulty is between fitting the 48 and the 60 litre.  Someone (Vocky I think?) said somewhere that the 60 litre is a two man job.  This is pertinent because I would not have assistance. :unsure:  Who is best to get one from - Joe?

Thanks in advance. :)

#2 NOSBandit

NOSBandit

• PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:07 PM

The 60 litre is a tight fit but I fitted mine on my own, just make sure your wiring loom is out of the way when you fit it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#3 Aerodynamic

Aerodynamic

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:35 PM

Why the extra job for the 60 liter tank?  And where is it a tight fit?

Br, Per

#4 Foxy_Jr

Foxy_Jr

• PipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:14 AM

I think the extra capacity comes from the sticky out bit (can’t think of a better description) which makes alignment difficult and hinders fitment without another pair of hands. The 48ltr is a big PITA even without the extra bit - trust me I know, not a job for a single garage, but possible. As mentioned, make sure all the loom is out of the way. I found it easier to split and rejoin all the hoses as it all gets pretty tight.
I guess Type116 or Max88 would be the people to approach for prices.

Edited by Foxy_Jr, 01 February 2020 - 12:14 AM.

#5 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 12:39 PM

the 48L i did on my own on a ramp, 

the 60L i fit on jon seals car but it really needed 2 people, there are a couple of rivets you need to remove in order to get it to fit. :)

i sell pro alloy as well :) 

#6 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

Batman and Vocky put my 60ltr tank in and I think the words they used were along the lines of: f@@k; shi1t; b@stard; etc....  lol....

It is and incredibly tight fit.

#7 Zoobeef

Zoobeef

Joes bedroom assistant.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 04:35 PM

Fitted the 60 litre on my own on the garage floor. Wasnt easy but not too hard.

#8 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 07:20 PM

I'm really grateful for all your imputs because its a rather large investment (especially the 60L which I'm leaning towards) plus a Spitfire Engineering replacement fuel pump.  Silly to miss the opportunity to replace hard to get at mechanicals on a 16 year old car.  Ironically - very ironically, I did have an excellent and very inexpensivemechanic who would come and help me out with stufff.  Unfortunately he was changing a steel petrol tank on a car in his workshop and for some reason he decided to drill the bottom to drain it without filling the tank with water.  The resulting explosion blew the roof off his workshop and he was left badly injured (mostly burns and lung damage) and I've not spoken to him in ten years.  He might not be amused if I contact him and say "Hi how are you, fancy giving me a hand to replace a petrol tank?" :huh:

#9 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:53 PM

I put the spitfire pump in with the 60l tank (well, Batman and Vocky did) and you need to increase the size of the access hole behind the passenger seat to get the new fuel pump in too other wise you may break off the plastic tubes for the fuel.

#10 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:42 AM

I'm really grateful for all your imputs because its a rather large investment (especially the 60L which I'm leaning towards) plus a Spitfire Engineering replacement fuel pump.  Silly to miss the opportunity to replace hard to get at mechanicals on a 16 year old car.  Ironically - very ironically, I did have an excellent and very inexpensivemechanic who would come and help me out with stufff.  Unfortunately he was changing a steel petrol tank on a car in his workshop and for some reason he decided to drill the bottom to drain it without filling the tank with water.  The resulting explosion blew the roof off his workshop and he was left badly injured (mostly burns and lung damage) and I've not spoken to him in ten years.  He might not be amused if I contact him and say "Hi how are you, fancy giving me a hand to replace a petrol tank?" :huh:

Alternatively, this could be 'the job' to beat those demons and get back on the horse.. :blink:

#11 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:52 PM

I'd just like to thank Joe for his assistance and supply in this (60L) - He may be the Batman but he's no fly by night when it comes to supplying and getting things done.  Thanks again Joe.

#12 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:43 PM

:D happy to help :)

#13 alanoo

alanoo

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:42 PM

I thought fitting the 60L needed having the wiring loom rerouted ?

#14 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

just remove the sticky tape holding it in and wiggle it around a bit and it moves itself out of the way :) 

#15 oblomov

oblomov

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:36 PM

just remove the sticky tape holding it in and wiggle it around a bit and it moves itself out of the way :)

Thanks for confirming what I'd guessed. thumbsup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users