head gasket

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mc_Fudge3

Mc_Fudge3

• 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:42 PM

Hi Guys,

Im pretty sure my cars now got a cracket head.

It was running fine up until last weekend. My mate (who is a mechanic) changed the oil and spark plugs for me.

After that the car started losing coolant and i couldnt figure out where from (thought it may have been the expansion tank as it is a good few years old)

Took it upto a friend with a compression test meter for expansion tanks. After pressuring it up coolant started leaking out of the rocker cover gasket.

We took the coil packs out and the rocker cover gasket off and pressurised it again and the coolant is coming up through the spark plug to the far left when stood at the back of the car looking forward.

Im guessing he over tightened the spark plug when installing and has cracked the head (he claims he used a torque wrench etc)

Ive only had the car around 6 months and have no idea how big a job it is to get the head off etc (can it be done with the engine in situ, does the rear clam need to come off etc?)

Its a 2.2 n/a has done around 90k,

I love the car and am absolutely gutted! I live in Sheffield, if anyone has any places that know these cars for this kind of work as id love to get it back on the road. I have no idea how much this is going to cost / how big a job it is etc. IF anyone could shed any light to me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liam 

#2 Johnboyhgt

Johnboyhgt

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Tracks, Mods

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

ChrisUK is your man. Send him a PM

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

#3 TheHood

TheHood

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:World domination, a liking of unconvincing disguises, Malaysian temple restoration and nice words like "flange".

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:32 PM

Your mate needs a new torque wrench. 😕

There is a weak point on cyl. 4 and because the 2.2 uses stupid tapered seat plugs rather than the more user friendly crush washer type, it doesn't take much to over torque and crack the head. Its probably better to give that plug a light nippy-nip-nip with a 3/8" wrench and if you don't hear any ticky/chuffy noises when the engine is running at temperature you're all good.

This info won't do you any good now McFudge, but it the sort of info that can't be said too often.

Perhaps it could be worth researching what is involved in fitting the stronger sand cast Saab B207 head that doesn't have the same issue?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: head gasket

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users