• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dstarz7

dstarz7

• Pip
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Plastic cars

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:02 PM

Thought i'd better start some sort of thread to keep track of my project, a VX220 Moonland Turbo. Mostly for myself so that I can look back and think why on earth did I bother. 

I purchased the car at the end of January 2018 as a non runner and looking very sorry for itself.

Problems noticed first off from visual inspection without taking anything apart. 

- Front clam various damage / cracks / bits missing (including both wing mirrors)

- Engine hadn't been started in years.

- Damage to underside of sills & large under tray.

- Windscreen & passenger side glass both been smashed.

- Brakes rusted and grabbing making pushing it on / off trailer 

+ Others that i'm sure will manifest & show themselves as I work my way through it all. 

Photos of how it looked just after i'd got it back into my storage. 

https://imgur.com/a/VTWwYgV

https://imgur.com/a/mk0dmzo

Unfortunately at the start of summer 2018 I purchased my first house, so everything fun was put on hold until the house was finished & it didn't need anymore money throwing at it. So it was left with a sheet over in storage, and then fast forward to the start of 2020 and we're ready to crack on. 

Dan. 

#2 dstarz7

dstarz7

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:10 PM

First up was removal of the seats so that all of the smashed glass could be hoovered up & cleaned out. That passenger side front bolt is such a pain in the rear, i'd forgotten how much it made me swear taking the seats out of my N/A. Anyway, lots of glass hoovered up: https://imgur.com/a/7PUcjOW

#3 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• 10,587 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:25 PM

HpeHvEql.jpg

JllM7F7.jpg

qDSszf8.jpg

#4 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,117 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

nice project :)

#5 dstarz7

dstarz7

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:18 PM

Hopefully will be a nice outcome! Latest update from this weekend was getting the front clam off - Mostly to check that there's no hidden surprises underneath, which there wasn't, which is a success. However I suspect that the clam had never been removed, so there was a day or two giving the fastening a good soak in plus gas release before removal. The plan is to replace the rad, hoses & towing post whilst i'm here. Any other suggestions whilst i've got this sort of access? https://imgur.com/a/AnhcAKY

Edited by dstarz7, 02 March 2020 - 05:19 PM.

#6 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• 6,268 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:31 PM

Oh gosh that's in a bad way. Well done for taking it on and good luck with the project! chinky chinky

#7 ayresyy

ayresyy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:59 AM

Hopefully will be a nice outcome! Latest update from this weekend was getting the front clam off - Mostly to check that there's no hidden surprises underneath, which there wasn't, which is a success. However I suspect that the clam had never been removed, so there was a day or two giving the fastening a good soak in plus gas release before removal. The plan is to replace the rad, hoses & towing post whilst i'm here. Any other suggestions whilst i've got this sort of access? https://imgur.com/a/AnhcAKY

Good idea to do the rad and towing bracket while the clam is off. Make sure the horn works ok? It's a pig to get at with the clam back on.

#8 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 03:48 AM

Any progress with this project?

#9 dstarz7

dstarz7

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 June 2022 - 07:58 PM

I'm nearly as slack at updating this thread as I am on actually working on the car. Next to no progress over the last year. I have however been on a spending spree this last couple of weeks and i've got a stack of boxes and supplies, so hopefully this Saturday we'll be running at least! 

#10 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 04:32 AM

Good news and good luck!

#11 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• 6,268 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 10 June 2022 - 12:04 PM

Yay! Don't forget to post up some pics.

#12 ayresyy

ayresyy

Super Duper Member

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 04:50 PM

Does it make a noise yet Dan? 🫡

#13 dstarz7

dstarz7

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 09:39 PM

Solid progress made! A busy Saturday spent working on the car.

Full service. Cambelt, water pump, aux belt, both side engine mounts, front & rear mount inserts, engine oil and filter, fuel filter, gearbox oil, new header tank, new radiator, new coolant & new battery. I think that covers everything so far?

Ready to fire into life, but seems like a lack of power to the dash. Although switching on headlight switch seems to light up the back of the dash, there’s no info on the stack (temp, fuel & mileage) and nothing on the starter button. Suspected poor earth somewhere, so more investigating next weekend? Any further suggestions welcome. Will try and upload some photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vx220, turbo, project, repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users