• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oldboystoy

Oldboystoy

• Pip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Cars,Football and red wine

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:30 PM

Desperately looking for some words of wisdom. I have replaced my front calipers and just cannot get a decent pedal despite bleeding all four corners 4 times. Twice using a vacuum device and twice with a mate pumping the pedal. I know this is an old chestnut which must have cropped up a few times but I have run out of things to try. I have removed the calipers and put in a block of wood to stop the pistons coming out and then bled them in the inverted position and then the right way up. I have tapped ( fairly gently ) the calipers and the pipe with a hammer before each bleed. And finally I have been out on wet muddy roads in order to activate the Abs and bled them again. The brakes are still crap and the car covered in it. Any ideas on what I do next ? Any help would be much appreciated  

#2 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 04:47 PM

You've pretty much done everthing that I would have suggested.  Ensure you add the clutch to the bleeding circuit/lap and do it a number of times.

I installed new rear calipers and completely refreshed the existing front's... all in all I probably ended up bleeding each corner about 6 times to get a pedal I was happy with.  :wacko:

#3 Oldboystoy

Oldboystoy

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for that. Never thought about bleeding the clutch tbh. Is it easy to do? I don't remember ever seeing the bleed nipple. On top of the bell housing ? And just as a matter of interest Is your VX Le Mans green ? Looks a bit like mine on your profile photo.Thanks again.

#4 tommobot

tommobot

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:03 PM

I'm under the impression that with a tech2 connector thing you can activate / purge the abs system?

I'm in a similar situation so am interested to find out..

#5 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for that. Never thought about bleeding the clutch tbh. Is it easy to do? I don't remember ever seeing the bleed nipple. On top of the bell housing ? And just as a matter of interest Is your VX Le Mans green ? Looks a bit like mine on your profile photo.Thanks again.

thumbsup No I have a black turbo but put some crappy filter on my photo ;) I'll add that I did all my bleeding with a pressure bleeder on my own.  Clutch is same process as a caliper really, there is a nipple on the turret on the top of the F23 Bellhousing that has a hydraulic hard line running to it.

I'm under the impression that with a tech2 connector thing you can activate / purge the abs system?

I'm in a similar situation so am interested to find out..

I did the brake on gravel method but yes, with a tech2, you can purge the ABS system prior to completing the usual bleed procedure thumbsup

#6 Oldboystoy

Oldboystoy

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:43 PM

Thanks again. Tech2 looks a bit expensive for a one off since I have changed fluid several times with no problem. Found the bleed nipple for the clutch but didn't have a 9mm spanner.I assumed it would be 11mm as on the calipers. So the plan is to buy a spanner , get out the Easibleed and do the clutch followed by the muddy road trick and bleed all round once more. If it's not successful I will try the local Vauxhall dealer and see if they have a VX enthusiast in their midst who can purge the ABS properly. The joys of VX ownership !!

#7 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:21 PM

you dont tend to need to bleed ABS units unless they get drained afaik

and cant see why youd need to bleed the clutch, they share the same bottle but different master cylinders

although the VX being odd on both fronts wouldnt surprise me

goosed master cylinder?

#8 flybikeslee

flybikeslee

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:58 PM

check the mounting plate of the master cylinder. sometimes the rivets fail and give a shitty pedal. Le Mans friend here too :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users