Photo

Preventative Jobs To Do.....

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Entwistlecymru

Entwistlecymru

• 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 09:56 PM

I’m in the process of stripping all body panels off to tidy up the bodywork and was wondering what jobs I should do while everything is off. I’ve already given the suspension and brakes a birthday and have an updated heater to fit, but is there anything else I should check or replace while the car is bare?

#2 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:17 AM

Subframe shims

#3 allsteel

allsteel

• PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Winning lottery tickets,scantily clad women,real ale poured with a head,modified cars,great guitar playing.

Posted 18 April 2020 - 10:40 AM

Radiator, oil service. Fit a new hubring with the ABS wires before the useless effin things snap.

#4 oggster

oggster

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive 😉

Posted 18 April 2020 - 05:42 PM

Gearbox oil?

#5 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:13 PM

Side engine mounts replace, poly inserts front and read, timing chain (water pump while you're in there).  At the front replace the fog light bulbs, if you're planning on upgrading the heater might as well do it now too.  Plus, radiator pipes if you're replacing the radiator.  Silicone ones are a good shout.

If you fancy playing, then balancer shaft delete, braided brake hoses etc

All these jobs are possible with the clams on, just easier with them off.  A couple of the ones mentioned above can only be done with the clams off

Supercharger :ninja:

Edited by TheRealVXed, 18 April 2020 - 11:16 PM.

#6 robin

robin

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 02:12 PM

check rear brake lines in sills that corrode. 

#7 WrightStuff

WrightStuff

i am sheldon cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 02:47 PM

Front tow bracket replace while the clam is off

#8 Entwistlecymru

Entwistlecymru

• 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:16 PM

All handy suggestions - shims are a good shout. Thankfully a lot of the jobs mentioned have been done over the last few years.

I’ve got a water pump and all the service bits on their way, steering rack is out for refurb along with new UJs, and I’ll check the brake lines though I think they’ve been done.

Supercharger.......... yeeeeeessss, it’ll have to wait though.....

#9 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:24 PM

weeeeee  rallly

#10 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:13 PM

Front tow bracket replace while the clam is off

i'm in the middle of making a nice uprated one atm  :) complete with post and toe eye as a kit. 

#11 Entwistlecymru

Entwistlecymru

• 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 09:52 PM

Well I’ve done the shims - not a bad job and it got my 9 year old involved! My steering rack is knackered so I’ll be ordering a quick rack this week.

A mate of mine is making me a towing eye bracket already - mine was nasty! I’m also tidying up the cobbled up inlet pipe work and changing the rear brake pipes as they’re a bit crusty, oh and giving it a full respray while everything is off.

Inside I’ve got dynamat ready to go on the floor and bulkheads, new steering UJs, DAB radio and speakers.

Has anyone got any recommendations on what to use for a new exhaust heat shield? I’ve been looking at the zircoflex sheet - would that suit?

#12 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 10:08 PM

Has anyone got any recommendations on what to use for a new exhaust heat shield? I’ve been looking at the zircoflex sheet - would that suit?

I've used Nimbus before and seems similar to OE material.

#13 Entwistlecymru

Entwistlecymru

• 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:49 PM

I’ve completed all the suggested jobs so thanks for the suggestions, however the bodywork repairs have been so extensive I’ve decided on keeping the car off the road for another year and doing some more jobs......

I’ve ordered an EP ultimate rack and a 48l tank to complete the chassis but I’m wondering about engine mods. I’m trying to keep it relatively standard mechanically - I’ve done the 500hp thing and (I hate to say this) but Ive realised I get more pleasure wringing the VX’s neck. My thinking is balance shaft delete and TTV lightweight flywheel and leave it at that. Any thoughts?

#14 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:02 PM

Supercharge it. Absolutely. 100%. Do it! (Unless you have a turbo....)

It transforms the cars pace but the character of the engine is exactly the same. Just feels like the 2.2 is more like 3.2 and provided you stick to the 250-260 mark it won't keep breaking ancillaries.

More than happy to show you mine near swansea when things get more normal.

I find on track it's relative, the hot hatches that can were matching your NA for striaight line pace become the 911s etc, but on the road I feel the benefits even more so. The in gear pull from any revs is excellent.

#15 chris_uk

chris_uk

I Fancy Joe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:27 PM

I’ve completed all the suggested jobs so thanks for the suggestions, however the bodywork repairs have been so extensive I’ve decided on keeping the car off the road for another year and doing some more jobs......

I’ve ordered an EP ultimate rack and a 48l tank to complete the chassis but I’m wondering about engine mods. I’m trying to keep it relatively standard mechanically - I’ve done the 500hp thing and (I hate to say this) but Ive realised I get more pleasure wringing the VX’s neck. My thinking is balance shaft delete and TTV lightweight flywheel and leave it at that. Any thoughts?

tbh, its a pretty good idea .. 

if you need a TTV Flywheel just drop me a message :)

#16 The Batman

The Batman

Super Moderator

• 30,267 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:40 PM

i got balancer shaft delete kit and ttv flywheel on the shelf if you need it..

also got 3 sc kits :lol:

#17 C8RKH

C8RKH

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:35 AM

If your going for a 48ltr tank do the 60ltr surely. Totally transforms the range and on track days means one fuel stop probably not two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users