Improving Gearshift Quality

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Clez

Clez

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:31 PM

Hi all - my VXT is bog standard and that's fine for me and my wallet at the moment! however, the only bit of the car that I would really like to improve is the gearshift. Is there an easy way of doing this? is it as simple as a short shifter or do I need all the cables done too etc? also, I read a very old article on here which suggested even just changing the shifter was a bit of a bugger on a tubby's gearbox? any advice gratefully received, cheers 

#2 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:56 PM

What's wrong with the gear shift on yours?  In my opinion the VX has once of the nicest snickety boxes I've used.  Hardly any slop and a rifle bolt feel to the action.  

Having driven one with a short shifter in it it makes the action too short in my opinion and I found myself feeling like it wouldn't fully engage and might jump out of gear.

#3 Clez

Clez

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:27 PM

What's wrong with the gear shift on yours?  In my opinion the VX has once of the nicest snickety boxes I've used.  Hardly any slop and a rifle bolt feel to the action.  

Having driven one with a short shifter in it it makes the action too short in my opinion and I found myself feeling like it wouldn't fully engage and might jump out of gear.

Interesting......I've driven 3 VXs and none of the gear changes were a patch on a variety of cars I've driven (Type R, S2000, Atom, caterham etc) so i was just hoping to make it more snickety! It's not a bad box, It doesn't hinder me, but I dont find it a pleasure to use like I did in the aforementioned cars. However, I don't want it to feel like it's not engaged!

#4 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:46 PM

You should try this
https://www.short-sh...ft-bushing.html
And tell us what you think...

#5 TheRealVXed

TheRealVXed

Sidekick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Interests:Holy potatoes, fist combat, lycra

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:38 PM

Interesting......I've driven 3 VXs and none of the gear changes were a patch on a variety of cars I've driven (Type R, S2000, Atom, caterham etc) so i was just hoping to make it more snickety! It's not a bad box, It doesn't hinder me, but I dont find it a pleasure to use like I did in the aforementioned cars. However, I don't want it to feel like it's not engaged!

Perhaps it's turbo's then as my NA's is one of the nicest gearshifts I've had.  The short shift was in my VXR220 which might explain why I thought that was sh*t :lol:

#6 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:28 PM

You should try this
https://www.short-sh...ft-bushing.html
And tell us what you think...

just ordered one

#7 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:05 PM

The shift on my NA has always been really nice to use

#8 Foxy

Foxy

I love Nev

• 10,743 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 05:17 AM

In my experience the short shift will not improve the feel. It’s worse if anything...

#9 MAXR

MAXR

I’m jealous of Batman’s driving skills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Golf, classic Ferrari's

Posted 30 April 2020 - 06:31 AM

I strengthened the sides of the gear selector frame and to upgraded cables. The shift has far less unwanted flexing and the gear selection is more precise. Heat Shield the cables if they pass close to your exhaust.

Max

#10 Clez

Clez

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the advice all - perhaps I will leave the shift as is, get the bushes and upgrade the cables. Seems like nobody has a good word for an actual short shifter!

#11 sford

sford

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:47 AM

I fitted the short shift and it was ok, didn't make as much difference as I thought it would. As others have said, the VX is quite a nice rifle bolt change so it may be something else causing the dislike. I'd start by looking at the ends of the cables and how they attach to the shifter. There are just a push fit and if they are original and the car has seen a lot of changes you may find the way it clips on has become loose. You could add some rose joint type attachments to the ends of the cables instead of the existing so that you have a more solid feel. 

I only changed to the short shifter as it was cheap and came with all the new bushes. Easy to fit as I had the box out at the time so loads of space. Absolute pig I imagine in place as you have to belt out the pin holding it on. 

Take the surround off around the gearstick and see what the shifter that end is like. Do a couple of shifts and see if there is any flex. You may find you can eliminate some of it there.

Of the elises I've driven (S1 with a k, S2 with a k) the vx is a much nicer shift. They were only improved with the addition of the bearings on the end of the cables. 

#12 siztenboots

siztenboots

RaceMode

• 26,610 posts
  • Interests:french maids

Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:28 AM

probably wear in the selector shaft bearing , or the nylon block bearing on the exterior part of the selector arm

#13 pete-r

pete-r

I never drive faster than I can see

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:44 AM

Also worth making sure your mounts are ok, as too much flex in them will affect the shift.

#14 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:59 PM

I have fitted the nylon bush recently. It made a difference, but not as much as i'd hoped for.
The cold behaviour is a bit better, but the warm behaviour feels much the same.

This video goes on to show another bushing in the selector:

I am going to try this approach to see if it improves.

Frankly I think some old owner just gave the car some heavy gearchanging though and i'll be in at the selectors/turret/worse eventually.

#15 -Dab-of-Oppo-

-Dab-of-Oppo-

Cuntpuffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 07:49 AM

Also worth making sure your mounts are ok, as too much flex in them will affect the shift.

:yeahthat:

Fitting poly engine mount inserts to mine made a really noticeable difference in my experience.

Edited by -Dab-of-Oppo-, 01 May 2020 - 07:49 AM.

#16 Clez

Clez

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:26 AM

Excellent - many thanks for the advice and videos all - much appreciated

#17 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 05:21 PM

would wonder why mounts make a difference when the selector is driven by cables

#18 Ormes

Ormes

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,612 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 09:23 PM

:yeahthat:

Fitting poly engine mount inserts to mine made a really noticeable difference in my experience.

Good shout.

#19 James96

James96

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:11 PM

probably wear in the selector shaft bearing , or the nylon block bearing on the exterior part of the selector arm

Do you know where to buy the selector shaft bush? I can find the nylon block but not that.

#20 chris-vxt

chris-vxt

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:27 PM

Yes I’d be interested too. I can’t find EP performance anywhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users