• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steffe

Steffe

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:14 AM

Hello!

I am right now installing my new T7design heater and wonder if it really necessary to use a 4-port bypass valve? Would it not be simpler to just have a two port design the stops the coolant flow to the heater matrix? Like this on: 

https://www.demon-tw...m-5-8-tsdtx1hv/

Is there some technical reason that prevent you to just block this coolant loop?

regards

Stephan

#2 martinroger

martinroger

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:34 AM

I think the reason this loop cannot be stopped is because it is already the bypass loop for the engine cooling loop. The water pump is obviously running all the time, but when the thermostat is closed (cold) you need a bypass loop to run the fluid, otherwise water does not circulate around the engine and temperatures can be unequal in the block. Which is never too good. So the T7 heater uses a cheap bypass valve to maintain circulation in that loop in all cases.

Also probably avoid issues on the pumps and pipes with static pressure build up, but I have no idea of the orders of magnitude there, it depends on the pump design. Probably not a real issue because the pump seems to be volumetric.

#3 Arno

Arno

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:47 AM

I think the reason this loop cannot be stopped is because it is already the bypass loop for the engine cooling loop.

Correct.

Not sure on the turbo, but on the 2.2 the heater circuit IS the engine coolant bypass loop so it can not be shut off but must be allowed to flow all the time or the thermostat does not work/open. It receives the hot coolant from this circuit to trigger opening.

The Z22, unlike some other engines, does not have dedicated/separate 'heater' and 'bypass' connections on the engine. If that were the case then the heater flow could be shut off. Cheaper for the manufacturer this way though...

Bye, Arno.

#4 Steffe

Steffe

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:19 AM

Thanks very much for this information. I will then stick to the 4-port solution!

Stephan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users