Ecu Fail

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Braus

Braus

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 12:56 AM

Standard ECUs don't like standing and I've had two not recover from standing idle for a period.  One may have been a bad pedal, but other other was certain ECU.  Speak to Liam at MMG he was a critical link in the resolution of both problems.  The solution was a three part set from Ebay, ECU, key chip and sensor.

#22 Braus

Braus

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:10 AM

Ahh, that could be the reason it failed as it sat for a long period as it wouldn't start. The local GM dealership was useless - they said the only solution was an after market ECU, then a good mate found that the ECU and immobiliser were not communicating and got it running using Opcom.  

#23 Braus

Braus

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:38 AM

I would suggest ruling out all other possible issues first, as mentioned. Then, absolute worst case, the ECU 'could' have a failed injector driver (hugely rare as others have said). You can still lift your current map from the ECU, then buy a cheap replacement from a 1.2 Corsa C (Holden Barina circa 2002) for around £30, they are so cheap as they so rarely fail! Then just drop your map onto the New ECU and off you go again. 

#24 Braus

Braus

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:42 AM

Ayresyy, how do I go about lifting the current map from the old ECU and dropping it onto a new one?

Thanks mate : ) 

#25 Cavturbo

Cavturbo

• PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:11 AM

http://www.vx220.org...e/?fromsearch=1

Not sure if the above may assist

#26 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:11 AM

Hey Mate,

All Holden dealers were given access to the Opel side as well... Not Vauxhall, but Opel. Using an MDI they will be able to program.

#27 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 01:27 PM

Ayresyy, how do I go about lifting the current map from the old ECU and dropping it onto a new one?
Thanks mate : )

The map can be read/wrote using Kess or Galletto etc, and op-com/Vaux-com or Tech2 will install the ECU as long as you get one that has been divorced from the donor car.

#28 Braus

Braus

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 03:57 AM

Pardon my ignorance Ayresyy, what is the method for divorcing an ECU from the donor car? Also, can the entire process be done with Windows 10?

#29 Braus

Braus

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:09 AM

aquilaproejct

Anth - thanks for that...Could be why the local dealership couldn't do it- confusing Vauxhall for Opel?

#30 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:21 AM

Pardon my ignorance Ayresyy, what is the method for divorcing an ECU from the donor car? Also, can the entire process be done with Windows 10?

As long as you have the correct software and bits of hardware, it is all possible through a windows 10 machine (that's how I have done it in ther past). You can use Op-com or Tech2 to divorce the replacement ECU (basically uninstall it and unlock the immo code) from the donor car, or just buy one that's been done already. Failing that, a lot of ECU's can be force unlocked once on the car using carprog or something similar.  

#31 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:17 AM

Opcom can unlock an ECU out of the donor car in a new car..tech 2 cannot do this, unless you divorce all modules, which might get hairy.. The catch may be is that you need a vx220 ECU. This is true for NA. And I presume for turbo. While the hardware ecu between a vx220 and an astra for example is the same, the software is not. You need a dealer to reprogram it through mdi to avoid various MIL .. a tech 2 cannot do this unless you have the Opel/Vauxhall cartridge in it. Tech 2 can only set configurations.

#32 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 01:31 PM

[quote name="aquilaproejct" post="1988552" timestamp="1591867021"]

Opcom can unlock an ECU out of the donor car in a new car..tech 2 cannot do this, unless you divorce all modules, which might get hairy.. The catch may be is that you need a vx220 ECU. This is true for NA. And I presume for turbo. While the hardware ecu between a vx220 and an astra for example is the same, the software is not. You need a dealer to reprogram it through mdi to avoid various MIL .. a tech 2 cannot do this unless you have the Opel/Vauxhall cartridge in it. Tech 2 can only set configurations.[/quote

That’s the reason you need to install a full bin read onto the new ECU from your original ECU. Once you have this file you can flash it onto the vx/Astra/corsa ECU it becomes a clone of your original ECU. There shouldn’t be any need to use a VX220 ECU specifically if we are referring to a turbo, as long as it’s the correct ECU. I have a 1.2 corsa ECU on my turbo and it’s been fine for years now.

#33 aquilaproejct

aquilaproejct

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:49 PM

Correct.
Same hardware as other Opels.
Different software.

Get the right software on. No Mil light.
Wrong software. Mil light

#34 Braus

Braus

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:16 AM

Thank you for your helpful advice guys. It's a bit beyond my technical ability but

good to know there are options :)   

#35 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 05:49 PM

I use a MPPS cable and software for mine. Ebay will provide.

The internet has a number of guides to get the .BIN from a Z22se ECU, but I can put up a step-by-step if you are not too confident, or are troubled seeing done in a car that is not a VX220.

It sounds 1000 times scarier than it actually is. I know some people who I would not trust to tie their own sholeaces use it happily.

#36 Braus

Braus

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:52 AM

Thanks Blackoctagon - a step by step guide would be appreciated in case we have to go that way, plus it may be helpful to others in the same situation.

Cheers :)

#37 Braus

Braus

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:55 AM

Bit of a long shot but does anyone have a genuine turbo ECU from a wrecked car for sale please?

#38 blackoctagon

blackoctagon

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:44 AM

Braus,
I'll put one up in the next day or two.

If you don't mind i'll put it in a fresh thread so it can be more easily searched in the future, but i'll put the link in this thread.

Edited by blackoctagon, 16 June 2020 - 09:45 AM.

#39 Braus

Braus

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:17 PM

That's a very good idea - thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users