Photo

Forum Member For 11 Years...might Soon Have A Vx...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rossd0131

rossd0131

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

Hi folks,

I just checked my profile and realised that I joined this forum in 2009 but have never posted... today just arranged to view and hopefully buy my first VX220!

If I recall correctly I joined when I was helping my friend with one of his VX's (he's a member here and has owned a few... Hi Nicol...) At that time I was considering a VX220 but ended up buying a Honda S2000. The Honda is long gone as are most of the other cars I have had since then...

Anyway, skip forward to today and I've just arranged to go see a car which had been advertised on ebay. It's a red cat D repaired 2005 VX220 Turbo with low miles, it needs a bit of paintwork, some tyres, and despite the low mileage will be due a timing belt due to age.

So, first question, how tricky is the timing belt change and where would you recommend buying the parts if I go the DIY route? I am no mechanic but have a dry garage at home to work in and currently have some time on my hands... If it's a job best left to the experts just let me know.

Secondly, I know it was was listed as a cat D in 2014 and subsequently repaired. I understand that it has likely been remapped but has a standard exhaust and there are no other obvious modifications. Is there anything further you would recommend checking on a cat D car, or any other checks or tests which are unique to the VX turbo in general which I should do prior to putting it into regular use?

Anyway, probably enough for my first post, I'm sure if I end up buying it I will be on here more regularly than I have been since 2009...

Cheers

Ross

#2 nicollow

nicollow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:59 PM

Your friend sounds like a dick

#3 paul_mck

paul_mck

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:28 PM

if it was cat D dude to chassis damage Id be more wary than say if it needed both clams and some headlights. 

#4 rossd0131

rossd0131

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:47 PM

Your friend sounds like a dick

You know him only too well...

#5 rossd0131

rossd0131

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:53 PM

if it was cat D dude to chassis damage Id be more wary than say if it needed both clams and some headlights.

Thanks Paul. I dont know what the extent of the damage was, only that it looks like it has paint bubbling at the front and rear so potentially both clams. The headlights look fresh so I'm assuming they may have been replaced too... but I dont really know.

I have read that it's very easy for simple bump n a VX to cause an insurance company to pay out and mark as a cat D but unless they owner was a member here when it happened I cant think of any way to find out for sure.

Edited by rossd0131, 09 June 2020 - 06:54 PM.

#6 rossd0131

rossd0131

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:16 PM

The current registration is BL55UET in case anyone happens to be a previous owner...

I know it's had an insurance claim and whilst I'm not put off at all it would be nice to know the background if that was possible.

#7 rossd0131

rossd0131

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:11 PM

The current registration is BL55UET in case anyone happens to be a previous owner...

I know it's had an insurance claim and whilst I'm not put off at all it would be nice to know the background if that was possible.

Actually, I just found it on the forums myself. Seems it was light rear clam damage in 2014, one rear light, slight buckle to rear wheel and an inner toe ball joint. The member said that the subframe and box were undamaged and then went on to remap it after the repair... I probably should have searched this before asking the question...

Anyway, any advice on the best place to get the timing belt kit and whether it's a decent DIY job is welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users