• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:06 PM

Anyone got a guide to deactivating the ABS (not pulling the fuse, I want my speedo working) with pictures! I want to be sure I get right what I end up doing. I have had a little moment with the hard brake pedal and would like to avoid it in future. As I understand there are two options, pulling the sensor and installing a switch, happy to look at both options. Ta.

#2 Strugs

Strugs

World's #1 cheese fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:53 PM

I'd go with a bullet connector in the wire. A switch might give an insurance company a reason to not pay out if the worst happened..

#3 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,877 posts
  • Interests:Sheep & Ducatis
    and now bees

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:23 AM

Unplug the sensor at a wheel, I unplug at the front nearside, need to protect the unplugged plugs to stop them griming up and not working when you reconnect for mot. Also can cut the yellow wire at the and unit and install a switch, search should find you a picture

#4 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,877 posts
    and now bees

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:23 AM

I'd go with a bullet connector in the wire. A switch might give an insurance company a reason to not pay out if the worst happened..

Good point

#5 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:42 AM

Unplug the sensor at a wheel, I unplug at the front nearside, need to protect the unplugged plugs to stop them griming up and not working when you reconnect for mot. Also can cut the yellow wire at the and unit and install a switch, search should find you a picture

Unplugging sounds like the way, honestly though I don’t know what or where I am unplugging!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,835 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:45 AM

http://www.vx220.org...146-abs-switch/

#7 smiley

smiley

Thetan level 15

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,427 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:54 AM

Unplugging sounds like the way, honestly though I don’t know what or where I am unplugging!

abs_sensor.jpg

If you are not comfortable with tinkering in any way or form, i would suggest start saving up for a 4-channel abs controller and have someone build that on for you.
No tinkering, no mods, no switches and fine for MOT.

#8 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:44 AM

Thanks, yes for sure I want a 4 channel unit at some point. Have spent a couple of grand on the car in the last 6 months so have to wait a little while before trying to get that purchase past the missus!

#9 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:45 AM

Aye found that but all the picture links are broken, Im not as technically minded as you lot but can follow instructions if I know what I am looking at.

#10 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,835 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:21 PM

Aye found that but all the picture links are broken, Im not as technically minded as you lot but can follow instructions if I know what I am looking at.

I've got a PDF with a couple of pictures I can email you if you want?

#11 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,877 posts
    and now bees

Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:31 PM

It's obvious when you look, take care unplugging though, so you don't break the clip, the whole plug slides off a 'carrier' and is then easier to separate

#12 coldel

coldel

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:43 PM

Cheers both much appreciated as always, Hairy you have mail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 bourne

bourne

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 11:11 AM

Hi there.

I've recently bought my second VXT. Had one about 8 years ago and sold it to fund Westfield S2000. I wish I'd kept the VX... Anyway, the new purchase came with a switch under the bonnet to remove abs, but i was warned by the previous owner to be careful when switching back to abs "on" as it can cause a hard pedal and no brakes if on a bumpy road, or on gravel??? Why might this be? Does it actually throw the switch physically, or is there something else.. he did mention it going into "ice mode", i.e. fooling the ecu into thinking the car is driving on ice...

Any info gratefully received...

Cheers guys.

#14 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 11:54 AM

Id get a hard pedal on track if I forget to turn ABS off. 

I leave it on for road driving though

Edited by paul_mck, 16 December 2020 - 11:55 AM.

#15 ayresyy

ayresyy

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:06 AM

The 4 channel ABS unit is really the best answer to the issue,  but obviously it's now a huge cost for something you may actually 'use' once/twice a year. 

Anyone who is able fancy organizing another group buy in the new year?   :ninja:

#16 paul_mck

paul_mck

• PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:21 AM

Id happily look at one if it wasnt for the janky programming required

#17 Rosssco

Rosssco

Scary Internerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:34 PM

The 4 channel ABS unit is really the best answer to the issue,  but obviously it's now a huge cost for something you may actually 'use' once/twice a year. 

Anyone who is able fancy organizing another group buy in the new year?   :ninja:

It's not something you use once or twice a year, as its not so much that ABS works better / properly when ultimately required, its the confidence it provides that you won't get a dodgy pedal on sudden application of the brakes in a late brake or poor road conditions. Even with one fitted, I've only felt it kick in once or twice and that was on a slightly gravelly junction in the dry. I wouldn't rely on the ABS to save me going into a wet braking zone, as even then the car can still have a tendancy to try and rotate from the rear if not perfectly straight (or a perfectly flat road!)

So from that perspective its kinda working all the time.. If you're activating the ABS frequently (especially on the road), you may have to reassess your driving technique and / or your tyre choice / age and general condition of the braking system itself (sticky rear calipers will shift the bias forward, meaning the fronts may have an increased tendancy to lock up, as will old tyres etc.)

Of course, the car is perfectly drivable with the ABS disabled and everything else in good working condition IMO.

#18 Ivor

Ivor

Billy No Mates

• 1,877 posts
    and now bees

Posted 17 December 2020 - 04:42 PM

My abs only gets connected for mot, possible insurance issues if you have an accident and they find it disconnected as others have said previously

#19 2-20

2-20

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 06:03 PM

4 channels ABS group buy...???
Are they still manufactured at least?

#20 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip